Options

What type of Router to purchase

unknown1234unknown1234 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking through the threads I'm getting a feel that it's probably best to setup your own lab. Understand my funds are limited, and I do have the Boson simulation software but it feels too restrictive. I'm looking through ebay and I don't know what to get. I'm at the beginning of my studies. I do my reading mostly during the day, and when I come home from work I'd like to do hands on type labs. Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for, and how much I should be looking to spend. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dolphin_m70dolphin_m70 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hi
    as my situation was sometg like urs
    i got a bargain in the ebay so got 3 (2501) routers , i think that is enough for most of ur ccna prep
    and if further ur budget allows u can buy a 1900 switch (but 2900 series can be better if u can afford)
    i thk this will give u a starting
    try ebay
    cheerios
  • Options
    hi
    as my situation was sometg like urs
    i got a bargain in the ebay so got 3 (2501) routers , i think that is enough for most of ur ccna prep
    and if further ur budget allows u can buy a 1900 switch (but 2900 series can be better if u can afford)
    i thk this will give u a starting
    try ebay
    cheerios

How much did you spend?
  • Options
    dolphin_m70dolphin_m70 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i spent all together 150 pounds
    3 routers incl transceivers
    3 console cables
  • Options
    $300 American :)

I just spent $124 (shipping included) on 2 2500/2507 series routers off ebay. I figured thats all I really needed because there arent many switch questions on there (from what I hear is 2-3). I bought a CD for $30 that includes labs relevant to my setup (2 routers, 1 computer) so hopefully this works out well.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jrest1982 wrote:
    Looking through the threads I'm getting a feel that it's probably best to setup your own lab. Understand my funds are limited, and I do have the Boson simulation software but it feels too restrictive.
    Boson will get you through the CCNA.... but having hardware makes it so much easier. And if you are already thinking past the CCNA -- yeah, you'll want to keep an eye on eBay. I just got 5 2521s for $80 (including shipping) that I didn't need -- but for that price, I couldn't resist. One of them has 16mb flash, so I could boot the other 4 off that one as a tftp server (after I upgrade the ther routers DRAM to 16 Mb-- which is cheap).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    jrest1982 wrote:
    Looking through the threads I'm getting a feel that it's probably best to setup your own lab. Understand my funds are limited, and I do have the Boson simulation software but it feels too restrictive.
    Boson will get you through the CCNA.... but having hardware makes it so much easier. And if you are already thinking past the CCNA -- yeah, you'll want to keep an eye on eBay. I just got 5 2521s for $80 (including shipping) that I didn't need -- but for that price, I couldn't resist. One of them has 16mb flash, so I could boot the other 4 off that one as a tftp server (after I upgrade the ther routers DRAM to 16 Mb-- which is cheap).

You got a little too technical for me, lol. All the experience I have with routers is creating backups with TFTP, restarting, sh run, no shut & shut commands. telneting.
  • Options
    duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    I just got 5 2521s for $80 (including shipping) that I didn't need -- but for that price, I couldn't resist. One of them has 16mb flash, so I could boot the other 4 off that one as a tftp server (after I upgrade the ther routers DRAM to 16 Mb-- which is cheap).

What a score!

One of the great things I found with buying used routers and switches, is that you are forced to learn about registry settings, password recovery (as in my case, some of the equipment had old passwords on it), updating IOS and memory etc. It's all good fun and will give you that extra bit of confidence for when you come to the exam and get into the field (here's hoping!). If you play your cards right, you might even make a profit when you're done!
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    jrest1982, I agree with mikej412 about using the Boson to get through the CCNA. However, while using the Boson in preparing for my CCNA, I ran across several problems and wasn't sure if it was something I was doing or a bug in the Boson software. So, I decided to build my own home lab.

I started with a 2900XL switch and 2501 router just to get the feel of configuring an actual switch and router. In addition I was able to practice password recovery, tftp and memory upgrade. I then added two more 2500 series routers and a 1924 switch. The multiple routers enabled me to verify the Boson labs, and to even create my own complex labs. It also allowed me to practice cabling the routers which is important when you're on some job interviews.

I've now collected a total of five routers and two switches, and am always looking to add more and even upgrade (especially since I'm now taking a Cisco Network Security class). Those of you who know where I can get a cheap PIX feel free to drop me a note. icon_wink.gif

I don't have a large budget for getting equipment. So, I get what my budget allows and work with what I have. Then again, you can probably make a deal with mikej412 since he doesn't need all of those 2521's. :D
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you can get a 2600.
    max ot the ram and flash.

if not get a 2500 and do the same.
    rm -rf /