Options

New Job Offer - Current Company Countered - Need Advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    So, did you ever make a decision???

Thanks for reminding me to update this thread :) ...

It was very difficult, but I accepted the new job offer with the other company and put in my resignation with my current employer. In the end, I feel like this new job will really challenge me more than my current role. There was some really good comments/advice in this thread that made me think of some things that admittedly I probably wouldn't have given that emotion can have a big influence on any decision. While the counteroffer was good, I had the thought in the back of my mind that things really wouldn't change and also that my loyalty to the company would always be questioned.

On a positive note, I am going to refocus my efforts back to technical IT security and plan to probably take the dive into the Offensive Security offerings.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    YAY! Good for you!icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I think the most important thing to understand, is that employers, just like the employees are trying to get a "good" bargain on salaries they offer. In other words, the employer might try and pay as little as possible, and the employee will try and negotiate as much as possible.

The best approach to salary negotiation is to not take it personal, but know what your worth is in the market. The only way to do that, is to explore other opportunities like you did earlier with your new employer.

It's not rare that you see employers counter-offering 20k+ for good people, it also doesn't mean that they under-value you. I think that if they under-valued you, they would not make you a counter-offer. Same can be said about an employee that might earn 10K more than what the market is willing to pay, it doesn't mean that the employee is ripping the company off if that's what the company is willing to pay. Sometimes and employer will pay extra for a new hire because everyone else they've interviewed did not fit the bill.

Don't take things personal and the way you handled things, shows that you're serious and I personally respect that a lot. I am sure your employer did too.

Good luck on the new opportunity!
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new gig.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    Hello again everyone,

I wanted to just update this thread and I'm happy to report that after 6 months on the job I've been promoted to a management position (Information Security Manager) that begins October 1. All the advice to leave my last company for this one was spot on and I'm glad I did it. Got a 10% pay bump as well! Kind of surreal for me, 3 years ago I was making $60k and I've now doubled that.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good for you!icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad to hear that. Good luck!
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hell yeah duder! From the looks of your credentials you wouldn't have a problem finding a great IT position ANYWHERE! CHEERS!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    Kuvuli21Kuvuli21 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My honest opinion is to take the new offer, and move on. Unless you really enjoy where you are. both offers are nice. It's really in what you feel is best for your happiness and where you are steering the wheel of the path you intend to go down.
    Currently studying: 70-680 Windows 7: Configuring

2017-2018 goals: 70-685, Server 2012, CWNP, SSCP and/or CCNA.
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a sneaking suspicion he will take the new job. Maybe even get promoted to Information Security Manager in short time! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    @brewboy: haha!!

Congrats to TeKniques!
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Glad things worked out for the best!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad things worked out .
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • Options
    yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Options
    nopx90nopx90 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, glad it turned out for the best!