Options

Cisco VIRL for CCNA

steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
Has anyone tried using Cisco VIRL for CCNA study?

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using it for the SP track mainly for the XRv but it should be more than enough for CCNA studies. Get the 20 node license and save yourself 100 bucks.
  • Options
    Thanks. I was considering this and a GNS3 build with a physical 3550 switch to start.
  • Options
    steelodon wrote: »
    Thanks. I was considering this and a GNS3 build with a physical 3550 switch to start.

What you should do is figure out whether or not you would like to pursue CCNP/CCIE in the future. If you do, then you should invest in four 3560 E or X or 3750 E or X right away and forget the 3550s. You can then hook these switches into GNS3 and skip VIRL. If you plan to stop at CCNA you can get the 3550s and it will be cheaper than a VIRL subscription. You pay extra for the VIRL convenience of not having to deal with images and hooking switches into GNS3. VIRL would also be good if you are going for CCNA Sec since it has ASAv, CCNA SP for XRv, and maybe even the DC track, though I'm not sure what it supports on that end.
  • Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    koz24 wrote: »
    What you should do is figure out whether or not you would like to pursue CCNP/CCIE in the future. If you do, then you should invest in four 3560 E or X or 3750 E or X right away and forget the 3550s. You can then hook these switches into GNS3 and skip VIRL. If you plan to stop at CCNA you can get the 3550s and it will be cheaper than a VIRL subscription. You pay extra for the VIRL convenience of not having to deal with images and hooking switches into GNS3. VIRL would also be good if you are going for CCNA Sec since it has ASAv, CCNA SP for XRv, and maybe even the DC track, though I'm not sure what it supports on that end.

Question does VIRL support CCNP/CCIE service provider topics? like MPLS CSC VPNs, Multicast etc?
  • Options
    Fadakartel wrote: »
    Question does VIRL support CCNP/CCIE service provider topics? like MPLS CSC VPNs, Multicast etc?

I'm sure it does but I can double check later.
  • Options
    How about the Boson sims? Someone suggested that for studying.