comparing exams

adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
I have not taken the CEH, but I'd like to know how close is the material to that of the Sec+.

Could I study for one and then take the other? How unrelated are they in terms of exam questions? In theory, they should cover mostly the same stuff, but we all know how that's not true.

If I studied and passed the Sec+ and then took the CEH test on the same day, would I pass it?

If not, why? What areas would doom me?

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Completely different exams. I am afraid you are confused on what these tests cover. One is an ethical hacker exam and the other is a network security and risk management exam.

Security+
    As a benchmark for best practices in IT security, this certification covers the essential principles for network security and risk management.
    https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/security

CEH
    The accredited course provides the advanced hacking tools and techniques used by hackers and information security professionals alike to break into an organization. As we put it, “To beat a hacker, you need to think like a hacker”. This course will immerse you into the Hacker Mindset so that you will be able to defend against future attacks.
    https://www.eccouncil.org/Certification/certified-ethical-hacker

To answer your question.....you will fail if you study for one and tried to test the other one.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's similar but you wouldn't pass CEH only studying for Sec+. Ec-Council has their own methodology for a lot of things that you have to memorise. There's also a lot of questions on a large number of tools.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    I knew they were different, I just didn't know how different. I was hoping to hear about percent difference from someone whom has both certs.

Are only 10% of the questions the same? 5%?

If you look at their study outlines, there is a lot of overlap. The summaries of each make them sound completely different though.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is no chance just because they overlap in 1 topic that if you study it you can pass both tests. They are just way to much different of exams. Ethical Hacking is way different than Security risk and network assessment.

Looking at the topics it seems like the only overlap is that on security+ covers some minor topics of threat and vulnerabilities and a small section on cryptography.

Security+ topics on threats and vulnerabilities is explaining what happens. CEH Threats and vulnerbailities shows you "how to perform the attacks." See the difference?

So only real coverage I see that will help you from security+ to CEH and from CEH to Security+ is the cryptography section.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Okay, new question. I read that a Net+ in almost required before your Sec+. Since Sec+ builds off of it so much. How relevant is the A+ in today's market? Is it worth pursuing before my CEH or is it basically a waste of time?

Second question, there are cert classes that run for three days leading up to the exam. Are they worth taking, and would taking one greatly improve my chances of getting a Comptia cert?

I won't have to pay for it, since I'm a special snowflake...

The CEH is already set in stone, I'm looking for a second cert. I already know people will say OSCP, but too late. I'm already pursuing that monster. I just added more lab time actually, lol. It ain't easy!
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is your experience with IT? School, other certs or work experience? Boot camps are more suitable for those with some years of experience behind them, not for someone completely new. I would not suggest a bootcamp for someone new or for someone who has not already done some serious studying first.
    That helps inform my future, thanks.

My prior experience is hobby based, but far enough along to attempt the OSCP cert.

I do extremely well on multiple choice based tests. I graduated Cum Laude with a B.A. that was not computer related, without ever studying. I completely believe it's because of my test taking ability, lol. I didn't study at all!

I don't mind studying, I actually like it. I'm a curious mofo.

I'll get down to the exact specifics and let the forum decide.
    I found a school teaching a Sec+ class in Thailand and the CEH class two weeks later. (I'm a white boy in China)
    The class fits my schedule and my budget, and I won't have to pay for one of them. (long story)
    I could attend only the CEH and then go party, or show up early, do the 3 day class, and attempt the Sec+.
    Obviously, it would be cool to get both, but my heart is set on the CEH. I'd have two weeks after the Sec+ exam to sit around and study for the CEH, and I have 4 months to prepare for both.

I'm living the dream already and this is purely because of my love for understanding the process. I'm literally getting these certs so I have them for any future need. Should I try to get both, or should I just concentrate on the CEH?

So, I guess my basic question comes down to, could I get the CEH after the SEC+ with only two weeks of studying?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could attempt the exam for sure, but CEH is not only about studying, you need to do some labs and practice with the tools used in the field. On top of that, being so new, you will probably not be eligible unless you take the CEH training class offered by the EC -Council directly.(Not sure if this is the class you want to take). Below are the eligibility criteria if you havent read them already.

Application Process / Eligibility

1. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA

In order to be considered for the EC-Council CEH, CHFI v8 and ECSA v8 exam without attending official training, candidate must:

Have at least two years of information security related experience.

Remit a non-refundable eligibility application fee of USD 100.00

Submit a completed Exam Eligibility Application Form.

Purchase an official exam voucher DIRECTLY from EC-Council through EC-Council’s web store

In order to be considered for the EC-Council ECSA v9 exam without attending official training, candidate must:

Have at least two years of information security related experience.

Remit a non-refundable eligibility application fee of USD 100.00

Submit a completed Exam Eligibility Application Form.

Purchase an official ECSA v9 Exam Kit [consists of ECSA Aspen Dashboard Access Code (valid for 90 days from date of release), ECSA v9 iLabs Cyber Range Access Code (30 days from date of activation) and ECSA v9 Exam voucher (valid for 90 days from the date of distribution)]

Submit an acceptable pen testing report based on pen testing performed over EC-Council’s secure cyber range

2. ELIGIBILITY PROCESS

Applicant will need to go to https://cert.eccouncil.org/Exam-Eligibility-Form.html to fill in an online request for the Eligibility Application Form.

Applicant will receive an electronic Exam Eligibility Application Form and the applicant will need to complete the information required on the form.

Submit the completed Exam Eligibility Application form. The Application is valid only for 90 days from the date when Application is submitted. Should we not received any update from the applicant post 90 days, the Application will be automatically rejected. Applicant will need to submit a new application form.

Waiting time for processing of Eligibility Application is approximately 5 working days after receiving the verification from verifier. Should the applicant not hear from us after 5 working days, the applicant can contact

For USA/Canada/LATAM applicants – applicationservices@eccouncil.org

For International applicants – cehapp@eccouncil.org

EC-Council will contact applicant’s Boss/ Supervisor/ Department head, who have agreed to act as applicant’s verifier in the application form, for authentication purposes.

For verification of Educational Background EC-Council requires a written letter in physical or electronic format confirming the certification(s) earned by the candidate.

If application is approved, applicant will be required to purchase a voucher from EC-Council DIRECTLY. EC-Council will then send the candidate the eligibility code and the voucher code which candidate can use to register and schedule the test.

The Approved application stands valid for 3 months from the date of Approval, the candidate needs to test within 1 year from date of voucher release.

An extension request will require the Approval of Certdirector.

If application is not approved, the application fee of USD 100 will not be refunded

Application Process Eligibility
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok so:
    You have a B.A in a unrelated field.
    No Work experience.
    Hobbyist experience with Info Sec/Computers.

You are working your way through OSCP.
    How are you finding OSCP? Do you have many boxes rooted?

You do not qualify to take the CEH exam (2 years experience is needed). You can take there training and by pass the experience. I did the 5 day in person CEH training it was a good course and fun, but not enough to pass the test no matter how good of a test taker you are.

As previously stated by some one else you will need to study for both. sec+ isn't going to help you with CEH. OSCP would probably help you a decent amount with CEH.

A brief summary of what i feel you have to know like the back of your hand for CEH:
    "OK so know the TCP hand shake.

nmap -sN. Know what a null scan is and how it works. what the responses are to open and closed ports.
    nmap -sF. Know what a FIN scan is and how it works. what the responses are to open and closed ports.
    nmap -sX. Know what a XMAS scan is and how it works. what the responses are to open and closed ports.
    etc...
    Here is the list of switches i studied: -sA -sF -sI -sL -sN -sO -sP -sR -sS -sT -sW -pI -PO -PS -PT -oN -oX
    Know your -T0-5 switches.

^^^Also know how they work on/against different operating systems. Windows does not follow RFC 793.

Know your
    ICMP Types and Codes

Know your ports, not just the common ones
    Know wireshark"
    I've rooted 18 boxes manually, limited shell on 1.
    I have several more I got through metasploit.

It has been a hair pulling good time.

I know about the 2 years experience clause, that's why I said I would take the class.
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've rooted 18 boxes manually, limited shell on 1.
    I have several more I got through metasploit.

It has been a hair pulling good time.

I know about the 2 years experience clause, that's why I said I would take the class.

Sounds like your doing pretty good in OSCP.
    The 5 day CEH course didn't help me much with the CEH exam.
    I would suggest reading the Matt Walker All in One Book. I also did the all in one practice tests. The Matt Walker book is from 2014 i believe so you will also need to cover the new material.

Sounds like you should not have to do much labing since OSCP already has you using most tools CEH would test you on. You are going to have to memorize certain tool switches as i mentioned before.