Options

Passed 100-101 today.

QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well after about 3 months of studying 4 or so hours a night I've managed to pass ICND1.

I used Wendell Odom book for the initial full read.
I took a 2 week class last year as part of a program.
I watched Jeremy Ciora CBT nuggets series.
I used packet tracer for lab.
I used a site referenced on here for subnetting practice.
Finally I used the Pearson practice tests from Odom book.

My breakdown:
Operation of IP Data Networks: 100%
LAN Switching Technologies: 82%
IP Addressing(IPv4/IPv6) 50%?? no IPv6 on exam
IP Routing Technologies: 79%
IP Services: 100%
Network Device Security: 63%
Troubleshooting: 100%

Score 823

Not sure about the 50% on IPv4 I did catch myself on a question using the wrong block size. Luckily, the answer I was getting wasn't listed or for sure I would of chose it. I was using a block size of 6 when it was obviously 8. One of the questions I guessed because I wasn't able to recall the rules on class A for first usable/last usable addresses.

Those of us that have taken the exam can remember the questions and recall why I did poorly in Network Device Security.

Any input on my breakdown would be helpful. Should I review or move on towards ICND2 and use this as a foundation?

Comments

• Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck on your future endeavours.
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing!
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A pass is a pass man, move on to ICND2! Congrats!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First off congrats!!!!! This is exciting because I am using almost a carbon copy of study material as you so hopefully with some hard work I will be successful as well.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Move on to ICND2 and use CCENT as your foundation!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    steele84 wrote: »
    First off congrats!!!!! This is exciting because I am using almost a carbon copy of study material as you so hopefully with some hard work I will be successful as well.

You will just set up a lab using Packet Tracer a bunch of times from scratch. Know your show commands, and understand the logic and don't get confused!

Thank you all!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Congratulations,take a break and get back on track..
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Since you used the Odem books, did you use the mind mapping in the book? I tried but I found that I was spending more thought on laying out the map than thinking about the topics?
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    I didn't use his mind map. I read books to get a good understanding of the material. I did re-read the summaries at the end of the chapters some. You will essentially be doing a mind map when you build your lab from scratch with no reference materials. You create your requirements, make an appropriate ip addressing scheme, and config config.
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    congrats on passing,if youd look there are a lot of people that score low on network security and routing protocols-guess they are pushing those hard,since security topic is tricky one and still not mastered it,also routing protocols can get pretty confusing or even L3 routing.None the less one down one more to go :) GL.
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!