Options

CCIE lab

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys. I am clueless that is why I am asking you all this seemingly dumb question.

Question. Okay I Built my basic CCIEv5 lab in GNS3 with 3 live switches. I see the lab topologies from INE all of them for CCIE r/s version5. Are those topologies from Cisco and is the CCIE R/S lab exam liken to the TSHOOT exam where they give you the topology and you are to master the setup and configuration of all the technologies and troubleshooting and then when you get to the lab exam just demonstrate your skills (I know TSHOOT is nothing compare to CCIE LAB) I am just trying to understand how these CCIE lab exams work. But you are givin the similar topologies and you are to master the configurations and troubleshooting and then you practice for the exam and then take the exam to pass it based off your time practice and studying how to troubleshoot and build the asked for techniques? Am I understanding this correctly? I know I am asking maybe an obvious question but I am actually considering studying for this exam if I understand it right.

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    The INE topologies aren't the ones you'll see on the lab. Cisco doesn't share that information and since they've gone completely virtualized in v5 of the exam, it's safe to say that there might be different versions and topologies of the lab given how easy it is to built them. My understanding is that the lab itself has 30+ routers now since they virtualized everything and there's quite a bit thrown in there.

The way that the CCIE is now divided up is in three sections: Configuration, Troubleshooting, and Diag. My understanding is that Diag is the easier part of the lab but it's also frustrating. I don't have any more information than that. As far as configuration and troubleshooting, those can both be deceptive in their titles. Something you do in configuration or do wrong in configuration might turn it quickly into a troubleshooting section for you. I've heard of a lot of people trying to do tasks in order and end up causing more issues because task 1 tells you to do something in an open ended non-specific way and then task 5 may tell you that you have to do task 1 in a specific way. The R&S exam is one of those exams you have to read all the way through before you are able to proceed because from what I've heard, it's easy to have cascading failures or get stuck in time sucks because you're going back and constantly fixing tasks.

Now the grading of the CCIE R&S exam is the "fun" part. There are three sections and you have to pass each section. You are not told the "passing" score of easy section. You are only given a "PASS" if you pass and if you fail that section, you are given a percentage of what you got on that section but no other information than that. The CCIE exam makers do not see this as an opportunities to tell you what you did wrong and unlike associate and professional-level Cisco exams, you do not get a list of sections or blueprint items that you should do better on. They assume that if you're going for an expert-level exam, they don't have to tell you that you're weak in switching or OSPF if you fail. There are two things you have to accomplish to pass the CCIE R&S lab:
    1) You have to pass each section
    2) You have to have an overall cut score above a passing

What does this mean? This means you can get a PASS + PASS + PASS for each section and still fail. It goes back to that whole part about you not knowing what a passing score is on each individual section and Bruno (head of the R&S track) says that each section's passing score isn't necessarily the passing score of the exam. I.e. Diag's passing score might be 50%, Configuration might be 60% and Troubleshooting might be 70%. You could still pass each of those and still fail because you don't score over an 80% on the total overall exam. The crappy part is if you pass each section, you don't get a percentage for that section either so you might not have a bloody clue what to improve on...

Anyways, whether or not I agree with it, that's the way they've started scoring.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    wow thank you. I take it you have done your homework. I wish I had your brain. You are a degree and certification machine. WOW! I have a lot to work on. hhahahahh Thank you angel!
  • Options
    So CCIE DC, CCIE Collab and CCIE Wifi are the same sections as well just Data center technology?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    The CCIE DC v2.0 will have the three sections. CCIE Collaboration and wireless are fairly new versions so they probably have them as well. I know that the CCIE labs are all going towards this model from what I've seen in recent public announcements
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As someone who has taken the v5 IE Lab - Iris has hit all the main points.

The TS element wasn't "difficult" in and of itself, nor was the configuration. They are easy, if you know what you are doing, and can quickly grasp and understand the requirements.
  • Options
    gorebrush omgod dude Congrats on CCIE r/s you the man...i didnt see you got it you deserve it man.yeah I am going to study for CcIE r/s and I hope do get it in under 3 years congrats again man and you tooo angel you did great getting your DC in CCIE i hope I can be as smart as you guys when I get there...I love my wife but I should have stayed single for 10 years then gottten married rats that love crap hahahah
    thank you both so much and congrats on your hard work..see you at the top !
  • Options
    I'm married too, have been since 2010 :) My wife has been very good to me with study etc.
  • Options
    congrats on the marriage too haah me been married since 2013 wife kind of grumpy hahaha hmmm great job...and I will work on the wife..thank you all for you help I feel inspired. yeah!
  • Options
    Admittedly having no wife or girlfriend would have made it easier, because you can end up in a situation where you fall out with your spouse and that is no good either. You need their understanding or their backing or it'll all go south and no CCIE is worth losing your marriage over. It is a fine balance! But as long as you have the full buy in it shouldn't be too hard. Good luck!
  • Options
    true that brother...I agree..thank you and good luck to your love of your life tooo ...see you at the top LOL! 1 ccie is good for me and live life I dont know how these guys get 3 plus CCIE to 8? how do you maintain that lifestyle? or even have the time to do that 2 to 8 CCIEs? I can see INE trainers since they are around it all the time but amazing how many multiple CCIEs I have seen the last 3 years freaking wow and just in awe ....luck to you in your life ;) enjoy