Options

Just landed an amazing new job...

Today I interviewed for a direct hire desktop support position with a commercial real estate business. Aaaaand...I was hired on the spot!! Awesome benefits, PTO, bonuses, potential for travel, and a ton of room to grow and learn.

I AM SO EXCITED! Pretty good considering I went into IT last March....! :D

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Excellent news!!! icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    manchildmanchild Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! Not only on the new job, but on your showing at the interview/instant hire. That has to feel good. :)
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif Congrats!!!!
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I need one of those "amazing new job" too. Congratulations! !!
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cheers!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That's a good feeling, getting hired on the spot!
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!!
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and getting hired on the spot is always awesome and shows how awesome you were in the interview!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! It is pretty awesome to see your progression thus far. Keep up the great work!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Congratulations! It is pretty awesome to see your progression thus far. Keep up the great work!

What he said. Congratulations! See its not as bad when you work and are able to look for new job. Yoy just have to stick it out sometime in the sucky job until the new amazing job comes.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Congrats!! Waiting for my turn to post a similar thread icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Congrats!! Waiting for my turn to post a similar thread icon_cheers.gif

Me, too! Hopefully soon...

Congrats on the new job! This is definitely a step up and I am sure you will learn quite a bit at the new opportunity.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, bet it feels great to leave that job you weren't thrilled with!!! icon_thumright.gif
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fantastic! It's basically deja vu (not the club) to my current sys admin position, heck maybe we'll be working together... smaller world things have already happened to me on TE. Smaller business desktop support roles can be a chance to get some great experience! Take every chance you can to work on servers.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats way to go!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job! You're a testament of how people looking to get into IT can do it through motivation and ambition. Congratulations!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    OmniTechOmniTech Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome job! Congrats!
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    So what's the pay rate? For desktop support, at least in my area, there isn't much over $20 an hour. I'm glad I am moving up from it. Crawling under people's filthy dusty desks was getting pretty old.
  • Options
    techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    This gives me so much hope. I am unemployed ATM thanks to my non-IT major which doesn't give me much skill. Looking forward to happy moments like these in near future.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I assume this means you aren't going to stay at the disorganized place? ;)
    When you are a big time CIO somewhere don't forget us little peoples.
    Great job and congratulations!
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    wangxjj123wangxjj123 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice to hear, i think i remember you posted about a position with geek squad. I got my A+ last August, and have been working as a PC integration tech. Recently interviewed for a desktop support with a medical device company. Hopefully i get the job.
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Congratulations! Work hard, keep learning but don't forget to enjoy your achievement as well! :)
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    Terminator XTerminator X Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! If the help desk is not your final destination with regards to your job, find people in the field you'd like to get into and see if you can't moonlight with them. I did that with our CNDSP and 8 months later landed a job with them. Create your own opportunities!
    -Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic-
    ~Unknown
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    So what's the pay rate? For desktop support, at least in my area, there isn't much over $20 an hour. I'm glad I am moving up from it. Crawling under people's filthy dusty desks was getting pretty old.

I am salaried at $38,500. It ends up being around $19/hr. But, I have full health benefits (great ones, at that.) which the employer pays most of. 21 PTO/year, paid holidays, 401K matching, and get a couple paid days off to participate in volunteer work in our community. We also receive bonuses for individual performance, up to 10%/year. On top of that, it is encouraged to move out of help desk/desktop support rather than be a lifer and they fully support any opportunities you may have to work with another team on special projects and all that great stuff.

Overall, pretty amazing opportunity for entry level IT.

Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

A+ certified
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job and congratulations!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    First day on the job went GREAT. I love all of my teammates. I already fit in so well- sarcastic, silly, and slightly inappropriate. I spoke with my boss about how I was nervous that I was so green. He said, we knew that when we hired you, we chose you because you are driven and willing to learn. He let the team know about my background, skill level, desire to obtain certs and learn. They have taken me under their wing and are already teaching me a lot.

Also, the office is BEAUTIFUL! :D

A+ certified