Options

Server 2012 R2 Activation

cj0nescj0nes Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am studying for my MCSA. I have a copy of Server 2012 R2 that I'm trying to use in a lab. I'm using a virtual environment (VirtualBox). Once I had initially updated and activated the first install, I cloned the vm through VirtualBox. The problem I'm having is when I'm firing up the cloned VMs, they are no longer activated. What are some ways that I can maintain activation?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You can't maintain the activation after cloning, you'll have to re-activate with either a different key or use the trial copy available from Microsoft and simply activate over and over for the 180-day trial period.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on the license model you are using. OEM licenses are single use/single activation, Volume License are just that... Also, like SlowHand said, don't maintain activation after a clone because it is a new instance.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    cj0nescj0nes Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ooh, I like the sound of that trial copy.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually the OEM version still comes with virtualization rights for 2VMs and is not just single activation
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    I use VMware and sysprep the image once I build it. I'm sure you could do the same in Virtual Box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3vXlo2q7M Then you create a snapshot and when your done with the lab, just revert to the snapshot and start all over. The activation doesn't bother you. Essentially the copy will try for 30 days to activate, after the 90th day it will bug you. In labs they never last that long.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    itechankititechankit Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah i also snapshot the image.Its very usefull feature.No need to unintsall the roles again and again and wait