Options

Passed 410

ShabazTechShabazTech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've finally decided to pursue the 2012 track, and hope to complete MCSE within the next few months. I have several years of work experience with 2012/2012R2, and have been using these versions of Windows Server since they were pretty much released. Being fortunate enough to work in a complex environment with several Microsoft and 3rd party services and management tools running along side the OS, I get to acquire a lot of knowledge through experience. But to pass these exams, you have to study as well. So I used three different books while studying for 410 (fortunately I like to read), the official Traning Guide and Exam ref by MS, and the Mastering 2012R2 book by Sybex. Of those three books, I would recommend the Exam ref and Mastering 2012R2, the official traning guide wasn't too impressive.

I had a wide range of questions on the exam, which pretty much touched upon every objective of the exam. I did best in the Hyper-V section. Now, onwards to 411.

Btw, I have shared some of my notes on my blog, so if you are interested, do check them out. :)
I'll try to add more notes if and when time permits.
shabaztech.com - Notes of an IT Pro

Comments

• Options
    tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips. Sadly, I am having trouble with this exam and failed three times. For now I am focusing on my WGU MSCIA program instead.
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! And tmurphy3100 keep on trucking!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! and great notes!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    jamiereesjamierees Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I passed 70-410 for the first time last week - good luck with the rest of the track :)
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Congratulations!

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    ignacioalfonsoignacioalfonso Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ShabazTech wrote: »
    I've finally decided to pursue the 2012 track, and hope to complete MCSE within the next few months. I have several years of work experience with 2012/2012R2, and have been using these versions of Windows Server since they were pretty much released. Being fortunate enough to work in a complex environment with several Microsoft and 3rd party services and management tools running along side the OS, I get to acquire a lot of knowledge through experience. But to pass these exams, you have to study as well. So I used three different books while studying for 410 (fortunately I like to read), the official Traning Guide and Exam ref by MS, and the Mastering 2012R2 book by Sybex. Of those three books, I would recommend the Exam ref and Mastering 2012R2, the official traning guide wasn't too impressive.

I had a wide range of questions on the exam, which pretty much touched upon every objective of the exam. I did best in the Hyper-V section. Now, onwards to 411.

Btw, I have shared some of my notes on my blog, so if you are interested, do check them out. :)
    I'll try to add more notes if and when time permits.

I have a very minimum exposure in working with windows servers and now i decided to take the certifications for MCSA , can you share your study track. i honestly dont know where to start.
    but like you've posted i already purchased the sybex book you've mentioned

Thanks, hope to hear from you.
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
  • Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Tmurphy3100
    Trust me I'm on the same boat as you. I failed it 3 times already ugh!!!!!!!!!!! It's been almost 2 months since i tried or studied. I wanted to get some focus and not stress so much on this. Paying for it out of pocket and failing is hard.

This weekend I'm starting once again studying a couple hours. We will see how it comes along this time around.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    ShabazTechShabazTech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Passed 411 too earlier this week, working hard on 412 now, hoping to take it in a couple of weeks time.
    I have a very minimum exposure in working with windows servers and now i decided to take the certifications for MCSA , can you share your study track. i honestly dont know where to start.
    but like you've posted i already purchased the sybex book you've mentioned

Thanks, hope to hear from you.

Hi, when I first started out, over 15 years ago, I did not have much exposure to Windows servers myself. I mainly worked with Windows clients, so reading up on the server part wasn't always as easy. Back then you also did not have the luxury of (freely available) virtualization software, so creating a test lab could be quite expensive, as it would have to consist of only physical machines. "Destroying and rebuilding" such a lab was also very time consuming. Reinstalling the OS on a machine could easily take a couple of hours.

My study method has always been to read through the material, take handwritten notes, and lab a lot. Even now I have to lab some of the topics. Way back on the first few AD related exams, I actually took over 100 pages worth of (handwritten) notes, and I feel that helped me a lot in learning the material. If you don't have much exposure to the material, I would also recommend watching videos. Also, start with the simple things, don't try to take in all of the information at once. The more complicated things are, the less likely you are to truly comprehend the subject on your first read through of it. Lab what you've read, and read through the same chapter again, you will most likely get a better understanding of it on your second read through.

The two things that have helped me the most are hands down,

1. Labbing a lot (you have to live and breathe this stuff :) )
    2. Taking handwritten notes

Good luck with your studies. The 410 training guide can be an adequate starting point for novices, but its not sufficient to pass the exam.
    shabaztech.com - Notes of an IT Pro