Options

resume question

DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have 20yrs in various areas of IT, I started in high school building and configuring thousands of PC's and servers for an MSP back in the `90's. When I was 18 I got promoted to the service dept and worked in house and in the field doing everything from break fix, to running cabling, installing and configuring desktops, servers, and the associated network gear. I've put the IT systems in entire school districts and other places myself or with a team of a few guys. I moved to a new company as a service tech doing about the same thing on a smaller scale and was promoted to service manager. Since that time I've worked in helpdesk/deskside support jobs for several enterprise sized corps such as Nationwide Insurance.

Lately I've been doing field service that isn't quite as server, or higher level IT intensive, but I still do work on things enough to stay very sharp and keep up with technologies. The pay was the attraction and the hours even less than 30/hrs week at times for a salary so pretty nice deal.

Sorry for the story, now to the question.

Is there anything wrong with making a resume that shows what I can do rather than a chronological order of jobs? If so I'll have to think of how to write this.

Comments

• Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    There are many different resume formats and chronological is not the only way to go. Trust me on this you want to get the readers attention on the top third of the resume. I have a dozen different resumes to send out depending on the job I am sending it in for. I still tweak them to let them know what I have done that matches up with the listed job requirements. You can list your jobs in order in the bottom of your resume and be brief about what you have done at each one.
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I'll give it some thought and come up with something.