Using current computer for vSphere 5.5

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'll be taking the vSphere 5.5 with SCC. I've read about people having equipment but I'm curious if it would be okay to use what I have and get another drive for ESXi. I have a Intel quad core with 16GB of RAM. I've been thinking about getting 32GB of RAM because I do VM stuff anyways. I think we use vSphere 5.5 at work but I can't even get access to it icon_sad.gif
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure you could dual boot but you could run VMware Player or Workstation to run a nested ESXi lab. Player is free without a ton of control, workstation is a little pricey but you may get some sort of discount with SCC. https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0 is a link to player.

I used autolab to create the lab environment I used for my VCAP. It has explicit instructions for how to deploy and set it up in Workstation if you go that route. That is available at labguides.com.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the information!
    I can just buy another SSD if I need to. It'll be an external drive though, hopefully eSata will work out.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having your own lab is great for practice and gaining additional experience, but remember you will have to use the online lab utility in the class in order to get credit for the required class lab assignments.
    Thanks for the information!
    I can just buy another SSD if I need to. It'll be an external drive though, hopefully eSata will work out.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    STANLY_CC

I haven't started the class yet so I have no idea what you're talking about right now. But thank you for letting me know ahead of time.
    Booya!!