Should i go to College or Just get my Certifications for Network/System Administrator

Hi, I am a male, 35 years old, and living in the Southern California I recently have very great interest in working in Information Technology field. I have started to study for my Comptia Network+ and currently still studying.

But, lately I have a burning question that is on my mind. I need your advice to get an idea on what I should do.

Is it necessary to go to a college for Bachelor degree, If want a Job as a Network Administrator, or System Administrator in the next 3 years?

Right now I am using CBT Nuggets. I believe CBT nuggets is aim toward Certifications.

So the golden question for me are:

1.) Go to College for Bachlor Degree or,

2.) just get certifications?

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you read enough threads and comments in this forum you will see that the advice to questions like this and the general consensus is Degree+ Certifications+ Experience = Success in IT.

Certifications alone will not guarantee you a job as a sys admin or network admin. You will need to back that up with experience and knowledge, experience is something that is earned after a few years, generally 2-3 years in IT. Having one of the three, will get your in the door and open some doors, but having a combination of those three, will open more opportunities and more doors. Start with a certification, but eventually you should get a degree as well.
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Okay, I would like to get all three , as you mention. For College would a Computer Information System A.S. Degree good for a starting point? There's a few offer in my local town.

A.S. Computer information System
    A.S. Network Security
    A.S. Computer Science

Which one would be best for my first degree?
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would pick network security, however, you would have to look into the curriculum and see what classes are interesting to you.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    The one interest me the most is the A.S. Network Security. Does any of this class tranfser to WGU?

[TH]Required Courses[/TH]
    [TH]Units[/TH]

CST C230 Introduction to Security

CST C232 Ethical Hacking

7.5 units from the program electives below:

[TH]Elective Courses[/TH]
    [TH]Units[/TH]

CST C185 MS Server 2008: Network Infrastructure

CST C237 Cisco ASA and Network Security

CST C238 Intrusion Detection Systems

CST C240 Firewall and Access Control Lists

CST C244 Computer Forensics

CST C245 Exploring Computer Forensics

CST C248 Wireless Networking

CST C252 Cisco Security Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)

CST C253 Cisco ASA, PIX, and Network Security

CST C254 Cisco IPS/CCSP

CST C258 Linux Networking and Security

CST C259 Advanced Linux Security

CST C260 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)

CST C271 Become a Security Consultant

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You would have to do that research yourself to see if these transfer to WGU. Call/email them and ask.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None

A.S. Computer information System
    A.S. Network Security
    A.S. Computer Science

Which one would be best for my first degree?

Generally from my experience is that
    A.S. Computer information System - Go for this if you want to be in information security, dealing with policies, procedures, information assurance, reviewing logs, monitoring data flows, dealing with audits, compliance etc.
    A.S. Network Security - Go for this if you want to be in network/sys administration roles dealing with configuring hardware devices, routers, switches, Vm's etc.
    A.S. Computer Science - Go for this if you want to be a developer or programmer

So you have to decide what you like more and which area you are better at.
    Danny069, Good advice I will email WGU and ask.

TheForce- That is Excellent advice!

With Theforce advice- I will aim for A.S. in Network Security.

Another question how do you get a job after I obtain the A.S. Network Security degree? Will using my College employment department be a wise idea? I would like to leverage my A.S degree and get experience. And then Transfer to WGU for Network Administration B.S.
    The more options you have available the more chances you will have to get a job. Using your college's employement department is one method, using your in-laws or friend's connection to get your resume in the hands of a manager is another way. Using veteran programs is another method if you were in the military, using recruiters or LinkedIn or job boards in another way. There's no how to guide that is standard for anyone when looking for job. Use whatever means at your disposal is the only rule.
    I would like to give you a big handshake TheForce icon_cheers.gif. Thank so much for your time advice. I will pass on what i learn to others. Thank you sir! :D