Any alternative to TOEFL for WGU admission

curiousvcuriousv Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
My native language was not English but I am US citizen and speak or write fluent English...and my education abroad was also in English ...

I don'icon_rolleyes.gift want to spend about 200$ for TOEFL ...is there any other alternative to this exam ....I already took readiness assessment and English language test was part of it...

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you applying as an international student? I thought TOEFL was required only by international students. If you are a US citizen you do not have to take TOEFL.
  • curiousvcuriousv Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NO I am not applying as international student but just because my native language was not English they said TOEFL is must ...it does not sound fair....but they are the boss...
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    curiousv wrote: »
    My native language was not English but I am US citizen and speak or write fluent English...and my education abroad was also in English ...

I don'icon_rolleyes.gift want to spend about 200$ for TOEFL ...is there any other alternative to this exam ....I already took readiness assessment and English language test was part of it...

LOL... good luck with that.. I had the same exact issue.. I just went and aced the TOEFL. Their thing is if you did not finish high school / got some kind of degree in English as native language, you have to take TOEFL.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Not sure with WGU, but in some institutions this is not always a hard requirement. Between my wife and I we have either applied to or attended 6 schools that required the TOEFL. They always waived it after we called in and mentioned we had zero interest in taking the test and it would be a deal breaker.
  • jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in your same situation i did not have to take the toefl and finished my masters in 1 year.. I don't recall WGU asking me to take the toefl
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in the same boat and I was required by my enrollment counsellor to pass TOEFL. Fortunately, the bar is pretty low, I had it at 80 TOEFL score (I got 104 on the exam) at the time. It's not that hard to get 80, but money, yeah, have to spend it...
    ksijur wrote: »
    LOL... good luck with that.. I had the same exact issue.. I just went and aced the TOEFL. Their thing is if you did not finish high school / got some kind of degree in English as native language, you have to take TOEFL.

I had to finish high school and that transcript is also in English and after high school I studied in medical science to be a doctor(which I did not finish) which was obviously in English ...they still insist on Toefl ...
    What is the other option similar to WGU ...online and cheap?
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is the other option similar to WGU ...online and cheap?
    There are none. Just take the TOEFL and call it a day ;)
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had to finish high school and that transcript is also in English and after high school I studied in medical science to be a doctor(which I did not finish) which was obviously in English ...they still insist on Toefl ...

If your high school diploma is from native English speaking school, I would not let it slide. I would pound on that drum till they let you in. Also, enrollment people really don't seem to be very knowledgeable at WGU which is shame since that is the first point of contact for most people.See if you can speak with someone else.
  • Colletti06Colletti06 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passing the English proficiency test is necessary if you want to get your study/work visa approved for the English speaking countries. Even my daughter had the dream of studying abroad, so it mainly required getting good band score. Well, she joined the most renowned ielts coaching in chandigarh and had excelled the test in first attempt.