Options

Help & Advice - Customer lost their files on their laptop

echoesofelevenechoesofeleven Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
Today was my first day working as a PC/Network Technician for a local computer repair company in my area. Things went great overall minus the hours being stuck in traffic.
Tomorrow I'm going to a client's home to troubleshoot an issue. In the email, it stated that the customer has lost all their files on their laptop and the computer has been reconfigured.
Nothing else was mentioned on the email. I'm assuming this is a windows machine. If so, Should I check the recently updated service packs? Maybe a recent update could have caused this. Maybe by uninstalling a certain pack the files might be recovered?

I could maybe take out the hard drive out the laptop, put it one another computer, run a data recovery software. Or I could use a hard drive adapter.

If the client does not have a restore point, how should I proceed and recover their files?
Good and close relationships keep us all truly happy

Comments

• Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Generally service packs do not wipe out data, I'd suspect from reading your description that the customer may have restored their machine and it is back to factory default.
    It is also possibel that the user logged into a new profile, or a new profile got built due to an error and the files may just be on the hard drive in the old profile folder.

You can attempt to take the drive out and use data recovery software, however, after a restore it may not pull all of the files, or even files that are wanted.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    Those are great points. Thank you! I'll make a note of it in my notebook. I'll definitely ask the client in great detail what exactly they did before losing their files.

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    and give them advice on buying a NAS drive to backup data!!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Use the data recovery software and scan for the file. You have a chance of finding the file as the data persists on the hard drive unless formatted over several times (think DBAN). You'll be surprised how much data you can find after someone has "lost" aka deleted their files.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd put my money on files still being there too. Profile or ransomware, but unlikely anything actually been deleted
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remember to always "keep it simple" first. Things that are obvious to us techs are impossible to most end users.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you need to do a RCA (Root Cause Analysis) or just recover their files?

It could have just created a new profile for them making their desktop and documents folder empty.

Recuva is a good program if they were actually deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone, for all the input. It really helped out today!

When I arrive at the client's home surprisingly all his files were back. The client was running Windows Vista. I spent almost 30 minutes figuring out what happened. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that it was a glitch.

I spent the rest of the hour configuring his email and running an AVG scan on his machine. Overall I was lucky that the files were back.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whew! Well that was a close call.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The root cause is in your last post...client running Vista! Just kidding.

Congratulations on the new job, btw.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get them a NAS drive! icon_study.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Get the customer a NAS drive or a external HD.... Teach them the IMPORTANCE of backing up data....