Options

WGU BS IT as a second bachelors

caitchkcaitchk Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE,

I am interested in pursuing a career in Information Security and had a few questions and wanted to see what TE's thoughts were regarding my options.

I currently hold a BBA in MIS from 2013. I have since worked in Tech Support for a POS company and a software company and now currently work in Application Support for a healthcare company. I am unsure if I should self-study for certifications without getting a BS from WGU or if I should pursue a BS IT - Security from WGU and obtain my certifications.

I plan on getting my Linux+ first to satisfy the application requirement. After the Linux+, I would either consider RHCSA or CCNA. I am not 100% sure which direction I would enjoy more, systems or networking.

Would my BBA and certifications suffice for job prospects or should I pursue a second BS through WGU?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had a degree in creative writing, but had quite a few certs. I wanted to get back into school, with Masters in Mind, but decided to pick up the B.S in IT Security first.

Knowing what I know now I would have went straight for masters, however I do not think that it was a bad decision. I like learning, do what you think is best for you.. you will not get many people willing to set your path, but it sounds like degree and more certs would not be a bad plan if that's what you want to do.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You already have a BA in MIS, I wouldn't get a 2nd bachelors at all. If you want to go the education route, look into an MS, otherwise stick with certs.
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm enrolled in the BSIT - Sec at WGU. From my perspective, I'm only attending WGU to check the degree box. I find it is an obstacle between me and focusing on what I want to learn (which, in my case, would be continuing my CCNA R/S momentum and busting out a CCNP R/S and the VMware VPC5-DCV I've had on the backburner for too long). I can't wait until I get the degree done, so I won't be blocked from pursuing the things I want to learn but if I detour and pick up the CCNP and a VCP, I'd might not ever get back on track.

However, since you already have a technical bachelor's degree, I'd go down the self-study route and pursue certs you find interesting. Having a second bachelor's and every little cert CompTIA has to offer isn't going to improve your marketability, in my opinion, as much as having expertise (and certs) in a area of personal interest to yourself will.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    caitchkcaitchk Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

Just want to verify if my BBA is sufficient to get past HR since it seems the certifications are more important than the degree. My BBA program was more business focused rather than other pure Info System programs. Most of my colleagues from school now work as Business Analyst and Associate in Big 4. Not many who pursue a technical career.

I'll probably rethink this after I get my Linux+ and go from there.