Options

Air Force Guard/Reserve in Texas or Surround areas

tsimmnstsimmns Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I just took a job in North Texas doing NDI, but I'm still looking into getting into the Guard or Reserve as a 3D1X1. Does anyone have any contacts in Texas or Oklahoma City or know if your u it has any openings? I'm currently still in the MS Air Guard for another year as AVIONICS, but wanting to cross train. I guess I could always look into the Army, but I would prefer to stay AF if possible.

Comments

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in the Louisiana Army Guard when I moved to Dallas. In Louisiana all I could get was a Satellite operator job. They kept filling all the IT/InfoSec jobs with newbs out of high school. I would avoid the Army Guard though very little in terms of tech and almost dang near impossible to get a slot.

It was impossible for me to get a release over to Texas. They are so full up in the units they are not wanting anyone. I tried and tried to get into a unit. Basically they told me to take a grunt level slot like supply and drive an hour for it then they would do it maybe. I was not interested in that so I held tight for something better it never came. I ended up getting out in Oct last year.

I had to get waivers to miss drill because I could not get back to Louisiana to drill. I even tried split training and couldn't get anyone to bite. It was a mess as it is with most Army Guard units. So stay away from that. Good luck on finding an Air Guard unit those seem to be scarce up north here in Texas. Maybe if you close to one of the large bases in San Antonio or something you might be OK.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tsimms,

Surprisingly you have come to the right place. I am a 17S Officer, which just transferred from Dallas to Lackland in the National Guard. I spent 5 years in the Dallas Unit, and I was sad to leave a great set of airmen behind. I don't think they are looking for 3D1x1's, but if your are interested in 3D1x2's, I believe they have some slots for those. My current unit is also growing, but we are looking for 1B4's which is difficult to get a waiver if you are not already in the 3D career field. Send me a pm with your guard email and I can make sure to send you to the right recruiter.

I'll ping him right now to see what slots are unavailable and if they are looking for reclasses..
  • Options
    Mitechniq,
    Tried to PM you, but I don't see that option. I talked to a recruiter in Dallas earlier about either an NDI or Client Systems position, but he pretty much blew me off. I would be open to 3d1x2, but not sure about putting in for a TS right now. I have a secret at the moment, but I have heard the TS is another ballgame. I also would be open to a Client Systems slot in any unit in Texas as I wouldn't mind the drive. I'm basically looking for anything thTs closer than 11 hours away from where I'll be living in Wichita Falls. If you want you can PM and I'll reply back, but like I said I don't think you have PMs enabled unless I'm missing something.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    PM replied to just to make sure you received it.