Options

Getting into IT - career change

T4RT4R Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself and would like some suggestions from you awesome people (very positive vibes from this forum from what I can tell icon_cool.gif). My background is in electrical and previous education was from ITT (AS degree, don't ever go there). Earlier this year I got laid off due to company outsourcing and it has got me thinking that I should switch to something else, my interest in computers/technology. My local community college here has a program for computer network with emphasis in Cisco that I have signed up for. I had to start all over in taking GE classes and all (dam you ITT). My main goal here is to break into the IT field and achieve a bachelor’s degree.

My plan of attack is to get this AS degree in Computer Network w/emphasis in Cisco (local CC) then jump into WGU since I do not see any options in finding a BS in IT program that is convenient for my schedule.

Here is a list of Core computer classes I will be taking in school for the Computer Network-Cisco Program. I plan to have my A+, Network+ and Security+ by the time I finish this program. The list in not in the order I am taking. The prep info is from my community college catalog.

Hardware and O.S. Fundamentals (Prep for A+)
Networking Fundamentals (Prep for Network+)
Cisco Networking Fundamentals (Prep for CCNA)
Cisco Router Configuration (Prep for CCNA)
Cisco Advanced Routing and Switching (Prep for CCNA, R/S)
Cisco Wide Area Network Design and Support (Prep for CCNA)
Wireless Networking (Prep for IUWNE)
Hacker Prevention/Security (Prep for Security+)
Computer Forensics Fundamentals (Prep for IACIS)

I would appreciate some suggestion on this route? Do you guys/gals recommend that I finish up my AS before going to WGU? I am trying to avoid taking as much WGU classes as I can. I know there is a limit on how much credits can be transferred over to WGU and also they don’t accept classes that has been taken more than X amount of years prior to starting? Are they talking about core computer classes? Or are they talking about every class including GE? Reason I ask is because I am taking only two classes at a time since I have to work full time and by the time I actually start WGU, it’ll be a while. Has anyone finished an AS in networking and transferred over to WGU to complete their bachelors?

Thank you all in advance. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that sounds like a good plan of attack the more you transfer in with an Associate's degree the better off you will be going into a Bachelor's degree. My experience if it helps was that I transferred in my AAS and I finished my BS at WGU in less than 1 1/2 years. You can enroll in WGU with a minimum of a high school diploma/GED and a certification or two. However, it would require more general education classes to be completed. So, that is up to you that overall decision. Certifications are only transferable if they have been completed within five years or less. The main classes that are transferable are general education and computer classes that meet competency. You would need to discuss that with enrollment about specific class requirements and what is eligible for transfer credits.

Hope this helps!! I had a great experience at WGU and I'm still enjoying it overall with my Master's degree I am currently pursuing. If you have any other questions let me know and I will help as much as I can. ;)

Blessings
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    T4RT4R Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks @dakinggamer87, sounds exactly like your plan. It helps a lot to know that someone else went in the same direction as I planned to. Although I prefer in class type of school, WGU is the only option I have after I finish the CC program. Thank you