Options

Passed CISSP today. Wasn't the monster I thought..

RogueEnigmaRogueEnigma Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
I studied for ~4 months passively then really geared down the last two weeks. I used Sybex 7th ed for book study, Cybrary for video (visuals), and Shon Harris for MP3 on the road to and from work. I will admit, I kind of zoned out multiple times listening to Shon at first, but I played her MP3 every day I drove into work. It eventually started to sink in.

I used Kelly as a guide as to what to concentrate on, then read each chapter of Sybex, using a highlighter for what I thought seemed important, and Shon Harris for the road to give a second perspective.

I also used some Sybex and CCCure practice tests but did not do thousands of questions. I just made sure I understood the material in the book. I hit BCP/DRP multiple times as well as encryption and other topics I knew I had to drill into memory.

Thanks for the posts. They gave me plenty of motivation and direction. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Thanks for the write up. What's next for you?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome! congrats!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    CJ3CJ3 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great! Congrats!! What next..
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's not that it wasn't what you thought...it's that you prepared thoroughly based on your level of knowledge.
  • Options
    DocRoyDocRoy Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Where can I purchase or down load shon harris mp3?
  • Options
    MjoshiMjoshi Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RogueEnigmaRogueEnigma Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree TechGuru80. When I say it wasn't the monster I thought it was going to be, I'm referring to the numerous posts and blogs stating that people studied numerous 1000 page books and took thousands of practice questions and still were lost in the exam.

The first few questions I flagged because although I could recall the page in the book and could visualize the term itself, I could not remember the definition or meaning or two answers were almost identical.

I can only recall a few "BEST" questions that had me scratching my head because two of the answers could easily be correct. Mostly the test was best practices from a management point of view and one answer stood out. Instead of picturing myself as an IT engineer, I thought "how would a CEO with little IT experience handle this and be able to explain that decision to shareholders."

What's next? I pint of Guinness and a deep breath. After that, considering going into the cloud for studies. Seems interesting.

Cheers all.
  • Options
    twtyjtwtyj Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Terminator XTerminator X Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I used the Shon Harris mp3's as well religiously for about 4 months or so as well. No radio, just straight Shon Harris while in the car.
    -Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic-
    ~Unknown
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F