Options

Getting into security world with a criminal record questions?

thexfilesthexfiles Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am curious on how employers or even getting a security clearance would view my circumstances

I don't really have anything serious.

I have a trespassing charge from years ago that was dropped down from a concealed handgun. I went to court to get it expunged but they said that in Virginia it would not be allowed because it was dropped down.

I have charges that were expunged and a couple alcohol citations from years ago.

I now have a pending court case but I am certain those charges will be dropped . (got charged for a cds of a medication that I am prescribed too because I didn't have the prescription bottle on me)

Now surely someone in the security world has a few blemishes on their record that can shed light to the question I am askinge

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My advice would be to consult with an attorney that deals with labor laws. Someone here may have some better insight, but the best place to start for yourself is to seek out legal advice from an expert.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Were any of these felonies? If not, you'd have a better chance at getting a clearance. You may already know, but you can't get a clearance unless you have the need for one. So you'f have to go work for a company or gov't agency that would sponsor you for one.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're going to have issues. I can tell you that my agency would not bring you on with that past. Having done background investigations the big thing that is looked at is the time between incidents. The longer the time the better you can show you have learned from past mistakes. If you think that you would need to get a clearance I would agree that you need to seek legal counsel to get a better idea. Ultimately, employers aren't having issues getting people to apply for jobs and most will have no issues so they aren't going to put in an effort on someone with issues unless they have a skill that is almost impossible to find elsewhere.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    thexfilesthexfiles Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well in theory no one should be able to see the expunged record except for a judge.

SO really I just have a trespassing charge and some alcohol citations as of now. ALL relatively minor misdemeanor charges.

BUT NO i did not know that about the clearance.

I am just thinking out loud with the help of you guys. It will be a long time before I can even enter the security world. I would imagine.
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I remember seeing a youtube video of a guy who was on meth and went to jail for it, and he described how he had to petition the court with a lawyer to get his record cleared. He was going to get an SEC license, and the owner of the financial company he was going to work for was helping, so that may have had something to do with it. He mentioned how they did detailed credit checks for the SEC license. I don't know how different a security clearance may be.

I've done desktop support contract assignments for things like XP to 7 migrations, and have been through multiple background checks for IT work as low level as that.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thexfiles wrote: »

ALL relatively minor misdemeanor charges.

Expunged or not, I would still disclosed it, any attempt to conceal it would be seen as a sign of dishonesty by most security companies / agencies.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The people determining if you get a clearance or not are going to see your alcohol citations as a risk and probably deny you. Not sure how they'd feel about the trespassing.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are a number of issues there, I'm not intimately familiar with the clearance process but why not focus on just getting a regular security role? If you can say you have 0 felonies and pass a background check you should be OK in many places.
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    My ex husband had a "possession of a deadly weapon" charge on his background and he lost many job opportunities because of it. Definitely seek legal counsel, and see what you can do to get it expunged.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    I personally know someone who got a DUI, with a TS/SCI. He didn't loose his clearance, taking into account he already had a clearance when he received that charge ( and self reported it). I am not sure if it makes a difference if you have a clearance prior to, or while you have a clearance (when you get charged). I have filled out a lot of e-QIP applications for various customers requirements and jobs (in/out the military. Nine times out of ten they only go back 10 years depending on the clearance. I think they are only looking for honesty more than anything else. I would try it, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. I would try to find a job that requires a Public Trust MAX a Secret Clearance. Try your luck. If you think everyone that has a clearance doesn't have a past and grew up in 90210 you're wrong. Dead Wrong. I have had a clearance since I was stationed on Ft. Campbell almost 10 years ago, so I think my advice is somewhat accurate.

I am not sure how a lawyer would benefit you honestly. Everything you enter in the e-QIP for the clearance background info is 100% private and secure. Only you and the Security (Fancy Name) that gives you access can see it. No your boss, PM, co workers, and Recruiter etc. will not be able to see it. So, I wouldn't waste money on a lawyer. It's not like they know the statistics or approval ratings. During any security investigation it is highly secretive.

My best advice, why not get into the private sector if all else fails? Be careful with Private Sector, because some PS jobs support the DOD/Government. So, you'd have to get a clearance.

I would not volunteer information. Example, you had a Assault charge in 2000 and were arrested.

Question: Have you been arrested in the past 10 years?

My Answer: No

Just be honest. Moral of the story.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your going to have to a tough road to go to get a clearance. I got beat up over every detail of my life and I have no criminal record not even a speeding ticket. They scrutinized everything financially with a fine tooth comb and even interviewed my wife, my ex-wife and so one down the line. Now you are going to compound it with criminal charges. I will also say expunged does not mean much to these investigators in most cases they can find out about what was done and when. Like someone else said I would definitely tell them and note it was expunged and the reason why it was expunged. With a pending case that is going to be even worse, until it ends. Most jobs I see ask on the background do you have any pending legal, criminal, civil litigation. If you check yes in most cases it is an automatic disqualifier. No one wants to hire someone who could be potentially going to jail, put on probation, sued and so on. Also you will need to look at the dates of the charges. If there is a pattern of behavior that will be picked up. For instance you are a good boy for a couple of years then you do something and meet up with the law then another two years go by and the same thing happens. It looks like you are not learning your lesson (s). Good luck not impossible, but you are going to really have to show documentation and a pattern of changing your behavior over a large course of time.