Options

Self training/learning sites

jeremy351jeremy351 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I am an special electronics repairer by profession in the army. I have maybe a cumulative of 4 years on and off dealing with various network and desktop situations due to my position. I have always had a passion for Information technology and technology in general. We occasionally get the chance troubleshoot servers and desktops in our electronics repair shop. I am also very familiar with re-imaging client computers and base-lining the for the network. I have Comptia: A+,NET+, and SEC+, ETA-I: Certified Computer technician and Certified Network system technician. I also have A journeyman level electronics repair certification. I want to get into the information security field once I leave the military and would like to know:

-what are ways that I could gain further experience? I plan on enrolling in WGU for my BS in IT with a focus on security, and im studying for CASP.

- What skills are needed to make yourself marketable in the infosec field and what certifications hold weight? does having a security clearance help? I have a secret clearance.

- Are there any websites like cybrary and code academy that have in-depth free or inexpensive training? Im always looking to learn new skills

- What can I do to make myself more marketable for a job.

Any tips on entering the IT Security field would be great appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    You asked a lot of questions so let me do a breakdown....

-[what are ways that I could gain further experience? I plan on enrolling in WGU for my BS in IT with a focus on security, and im studying for CASP.]
    College degrees are always a plus but in my opinion you can also focus on top IT security certs like CISSP, CCNP security or CCIE security which can be competitive as well in the job market. Also some certs do expire and it's required that you renew on a constant basis which helps you in the end because it forces you to stay on top of the latest technologies (assuming you want to keep the certs current).

Enroll in college if you can afford it and get a security certification in the process. That certification alone can help you get a security job before you graduate.

-[ What skills are needed to make yourself marketable in the infosec field and what certifications hold weight? does having a security clearance help? I have a secret clearance.]
    CISSP, CCNP security and CCIE security are very respected in the industry. In addition to your security clearance you are guaranteed to be picked over candidates who will probably be more qualified than you, if you have any of the certs I listed. It takes months for someone to be granted a clearance. You have a massive advantage. I used to have one when I first started with just an A+ and I was being offered jobs over well qualified candidates so I speak from experience.

- [Are there any websites like cybrary and code academy that have in-depth free or inexpensive training? Im always looking to learn new skills]
    CBT nuggets, INE offer decent materials as well

-[ What can I do to make myself more marketable for a job.]
    Experience, relevant security certifications and possibly a degree although I have seen too many people in IT whose degrees have nothing to do with IT.

I will say experience is the most important and your security clearance is a massive advantage especially in any place where the federal government is hiring.
    Keep in mind most companies will not hire you as a security person right away. You will have to start from somewhere and then branch of into security
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    jeremy351jeremy351 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your input I really appreciate it and will take it into account as I try to further my IT goals and career. :D