Options

How long is too long?

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I wonder - just how long does one need to continue a single job role before that length of time is considered to be "too long"

2 years? 3? 4+?

I've still a very long way to go in my career, I am 33 this year, have now got 12 years in IT and usually, 2.5 years is enough for me to stay in a single company never mind a single role. However my current posting I've held since October 2012, (so nearly 3.5 years) and been with the company nearly 6 years.

I am going to see out another 12 months to get another CCIE done and this would put me 4.5 years in a single role, 2xCCIE in my back pocket, a wealth of server, networking project and troubleshooting experience under my belt - Would I be able to transition into a TDA role? Would I be better off (and this is what I am aiming for) - a 3rd line/senior networking/change/implementation type role?

Interested to hear some fresh thoughts other than my own cynical bleatings.. for once.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    The past 5 years have been 'interesting' for me. Two layoffs, quit a job after 3 months (I did have a job lined up) because what was discussed at the interview was 180 degrees from reality and a firing from a temp to hire job. I think (after 10 months at my present job I can breath easier) So, you are in a enviable position right now. Look carefully for the next job, you have that luxury, give it another year...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Yes - I will admit I do come across as slightly first world problems - but one of the reasons I absolutely poured my effort into the first CCIE was because I wanted the "security". As you say, I am indeed in a good position with some luxury of being able to choose. While I am not earning CCIE-type money yet, it'll come. I don't do badly now.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think there's any such thing as too long at a company. If you're making enough money and are happy, then stay there for decades if you can.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think as long as you are learning and progressing in all the ways that you desire such as pay, responsibilities, and knowledge, then no amount of time is too long.

Based on what I've read in these forums, one of those items will usually stagnate after a year or two(usually pay), so if you're looking for higher pay you have to do multiple job changes to get to the pay level you want in the fastest time possible.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I wonder - just how long does one need to continue a single job role before that length of time is considered to be "too long"

Can you clarify, do you mean too long at one job at the same company, before moving on to another job. Or do you mean job hopping to other companies? I ask because I landed a great job at a great company, I'm be pretty much insane to leave the company to get another job at a different company for a different role or for a few bucks raise.

Great companies are becoming increasingly tough to find. If you have a job at a great company, I would stay even if it meant working longer in the same position so long as the compensation is worth it. And compensation is more than the $ in your paycheck, good medical benefits, stock options, 401k, bonus and knowing that they are not going to outsource your job (Job Security) at the first opportunity are considerations too.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    It was more at one role - I'd stay here 10 years if I had 4 roles in that time going my usual time scale, as long renumeration keeps pace with the requisite jobs.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me it depends on the company really. Some companies i get bored after 3 months, others about a year. After a year, i really begin to struggle at any company and desire to seek new challenges.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I find that you know when you have been somewhere too long. It stops being challenging, stops being fun, starts being a chore - show up, punch keys, have an ordinary lunch, punch more keys, go home, rinse and repeat.

Sometimes it can take a long time to really grow into and fill out a role, sometimes the role evolves with you.

Probably all that matters is that you can answer the question (to yourself and potential employers) why you stayed for however long you did (whether weeks or decades or in between).
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    For me it all depends on the role and the company. For example, I was with a large global financial firm for 8 years, but 6 of those were doing IAM. In that role I fell into the trap that others have posted on TE, I didn't have 6 years of identity and access management, I had 1 year of experience x 6, because the job was just repetition doing the same thing over and over, not learning or doing anything different. In my current role, I feel like I can do this for longer than 6 years.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree it depends on the role and the company. Sitting in an admin spot doing basically the same tasks for 5 years is a lot different than sitting in an architect spot tackling new technology challenges.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep,a ll depends on the company and the role. I've been at this company (or rather, the company that was acquired, as we're now part of a new company), for 7.5 years this time around, another 14 months the first time i started working here, and I still have no plans of leaving, though I will continue to do contract work on the side. If you have decent pay, decent benefits and a good boss/team, stick with it. I work with a very good, smart, flexible boss, same is true of his boss, and the team I have to work with is great. That, plus they let me work from home. Unless someone offers me 100% more to work from home with similar benefits, unlikely I'll jump. :) Now of course, fi they break up our team, or sell off the division again or something like that, i might have to reconsider, but the way things are now, I get to work on good new technologies with good people. No such thing as too long in that type of a situation. Though like you, the CCIE is a nice buffer to make sure I can jump if I ever need to.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that if you work as an employee of a non-IT company, you can certainly stay too long unless you are working for a large publicly traded company and stand a good chance to move beyond middle management or happen to be paid 20% or more above market rate. If that isn't you, you need to be moving every 3-5 year, IMO. Most places don't give you the growth you need in your career or compensation. And many can attest, the increases found in job moves are substantial compared to annual merit increases. Obviously, there are plenty of other consideration like benefits, vesting, etc.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro