Q: how to: Automatic Synchronization

eric21120eric21120 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a tech person in our company that has few windows XP home edtion and server 2000, but the server is not a domain controller. All the computers are in same workgroup. Two of our users are saving some scanned documents in their local computers. My manager asked me if i could do something so that while the two users save their scaned documents on their desktop, at the same time or later a back up copy created in the server automaticly.

i am not sure about how to do that. However, i am thinking of synchronization, but do know how.

Please help me out guys step by step..
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." ~ Socrates

Comments

• 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    look into a software product called second copy. it is cheap and works very well. don't really like the built in windows sync, cause it makes a huge file with a different extension.

http://www.secondcopy.com/pricing.html
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    eric21120 wrote:
    I am a tech person in our company that has few windows XP home edtion and server 2000, but the server is not a domain controller. All the computers are in same workgroup. Two of our users are saving some scanned documents in their local computers. My manager asked me if i could do something so that while the two users save their scaned documents on their desktop, at the same time or later a back up copy created in the server automaticly.

i am not sure about how to do that. However, i am thinking of synchronization, but do know how.

You should be having their doucments saved on the server... Map a shared folder on the server. Call it HOME. Create sub folders for usernames.

Map a drive from the client to the location on the server... iee

H Drive ... \\server\home\username

rename their documents from C:\documents and settings\ etc \My Documents to

H:\My Documents

Back the Home folder up with the regular server back up.

We do all of ours with roaming profiles and set up the home folders through active directory. Sorry if my explanation lacks step-by-step.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    not trying to be rude, but i see you have your xp cert..... you should be all over this one.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • eric21120eric21120 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chuchuchu wrote:
    not trying to be rude, but i see you have your xp cert..... you should be all over this one.

As I have said I was thinking of Synchronization; but in this case it is not exactly.
  • eric21120eric21120 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Trailerisf wrote:
    You should be having their doucments saved on the server... Map a shared folder on the server. Call it HOME. Create sub folders for usernames.

Map a drive from the client to the location on the server... iee

H Drive ... \\server\home\username

rename their documents from C:\documents and settings\ etc \My Documents to

H:\My Documents

Back the Home folder up with the regular server back up.

We do all of ours with roaming profiles and set up the home folders through active directory. Sorry if my explanation lacks step-by-step.[/quote]

thank you. I will try with that..