Options

IP Expert users be aware...

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144

Nice almost lost hope in the SP track.

I wonder why Cisco does not make books etc for their SP track. The ASR is pretty decent SP core router.
  • Options
    sea_turtlesea_turtle Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    that's a boot camp guys, that's out of my price range and honestly not worth it without the ability to get real reps on real ios-xr gear via mock labs and a work book which doesnt exist. icon_sad.gif when i say that i mean if i knew NOTHING about SP and i had 2500$ i would take it to get up to speed OR if i was really close to my lab attempt and i needed something to fill the gap and i had 2500$ i would take it to push me over the top. today im in an odd situation where im fundamentally sound on the topics when broken into independent configuration pieces and then the adding of them together to create the complex topology. i however do not have the speed to quickly diagnose and troubleshoot at a pace needed in the lab environment due to no mock labs or practice labs that would allow me to gauge myself and better learn in the environment.

fdakartel: they do make book(s) for their SP track: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet you just need a chapter here and a chapter there and if all else fails pour a beer and start reading from the DOC-CD. :)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Fadakartel wrote: »
    Nice almost lost hope in the SP track.

I wonder why Cisco does not make books etc for their SP track. The ASR is pretty decent SP core router.

The CCIE R&S is somewhat unique and lucky that it even gets it's own book set but even Cisco doesn't say those are the ONLY books you need. Any CCIE is usually a big list of books + RFCs + white papers + blogs + config guides. Pretty much read until your eyes bleed :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Lets review the outline of Narbiks vs the SP lab topics:

Section 1 – OSPF
    • Configuring OSPF on Ethernet
    • Configuring Virtual Links
    • Configuring OSPF Authentication
    • Route Summarization & LSA Filtering
    • Configuring Area Types
    Section 2 – IS-IS
    • Basic IS-IS Configuration – Single Area
    • IS-IS Authentication
    • IS-IS Multi Area Configuration
    • Configuring Route Leaking
    • Route Summarization
    • Route Redistribution
    Section 3 – BGP
    • Configuring eBGP
    • Configuring BGP Authentication
    • Configuring iBGP
    • Route Filtering using ACL & Prefix- Lists
    • Route Filtering using AS-Path Filters
    • Configuring Route Aggregation
    • Configuring Confederations
    • Configuring Route Manipulations using BGP Attributes
    Section 4 – IPv6
    • Configuring RIPng
    • Configuring EIGRP v6
    • Configuring OSPF v3
    • Configuring IS-IS
    • Configuring BGP
    • Configuring IPv6 Over IPv4
    Section 5 – BFD
    • Configuring BFD for EIGRP
    • Configuring BFD for OSPF
    • Configuring BFD for IS-IS
    • Configuring BFD for BGP
    Section 6 – Multicast Routing
    • Configuring Multicast Routing Using PIM – Static RP
    • Configuring Multicast Routing Using PIM – Multiple RP’s
    • Configuring Multicast Routing Using PIM – Auto RP
    • Configuring Multicast Routing Using PIM – BSR
    • Configuring Multicast Routing Using PIM – MDSP
    Section 7 – Configuring MPLS Unicast Routing
    • Configuring MPLS Unicast Routing
    • Securing LDP
    Section 8 – Intra-AS MPLS VPN
    • Configuring MPLS VPN with Static Routes between PE-CE
    • Configuring MPLS VPN with RIPv2 as PE-CE Routing Protocol
    • Configuring MPLS VPN with EIGRP as PE-CE Routing Protocol
    • Configuring MPLS VPN with BGP as PE-CE Routing Protocol
    • Configuring MPLS VPN with OSPF as PE-CE Routing Protocol
    • Configuring Domain-ID for OSPF PE-CE Routing
    • Configuring OSPF Sham Link
    • Configuring MPLS VPN Extranets
    • Configuring Export Maps
    • Configuring Import Maps
    Section 9 – Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPNs
    • Configuring VRF Lite
    • Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPN Using Option 1 – VRF Lite
    • Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPN Using Option 2A – MP-eBGP on ASBR using Next-Hop-Self
    • Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPN Using Option 2B – MP-eBGP on ASBR using Redistribute Connected
    • Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPN Using Option 3 – MP-eBGP between PE Routers
    • Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPN Using Option 3 – MP-eBGP between RR Routers
    • Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPN Using Option 4 – Non-VPN Transit Provider
    Section 10 – Carrier Supporting Carrier (CSC)
    • Configuring Carrier Supporting Carriers (CSC) – Customer Carrier IP Only
    • Configuring Carrier Supporting Carriers (CSC) – Customer Carrier Running MPLS
    • Configuring Carrier Supporting Carriers (CSC) – Customer Carrier Running MPLS VPN
    Section 11 – Configuring IPv6 over MPLS VPN
    • Configuring the Core Network based on MPLS Unicast Routing
    • Configuring an IPv6 Over MPLS VPN
    Section 12 – Configuring Layer 2 MPLS VPNs
    • Implementing AToM – Ethernet VLAN over MPLS
    • Implementing AToM – HDLC over MPLS
    • Implementing AToM – PPP over MPLS
    • Implementing AToM – Frame Relay over MPLS
    • Implementing AToM – Frame-Relay-Ethernet VLAN over MPLS
    • Implementing AToM – Frame-Relay-Ethernet VLAN Using Local Switching
    • Configuring L2TPv3 – Hairpinning (Local Switching)
    • Configuring L2TPv3 – Remote Peers
    • Configuring VPLS – Multipoint Service
    • Configuring H-VPLS – Multipoint Service
    Section 13 – Configuring MPLS TE
    • Configuring the SP Core Network with MPLS Unicast Routing
    • Configuring MPLS TE – Static Tunnels
    • Configuring MPLS TE – Dynamic Tunnels
    • Configuring MPLS TE – Dynamic Tunnels with Pre-emption
    • Configuring MPLS TE with IS-IS
    • Configuring MPLS TE – Link Protection with Fast Re-Route (FRR)
    Section 14 – Configuring Multicast VPN
    • Configuring Multicast VPN (M-VPN) using Static RP
    • Configuring Multicast VPN (M-VPN) using Auto RP
    Section 15 – Configuring MPLS on IOS-XR/IOS-XE
    • Configuring Intra-AS MPLS VPN using EIGRP as PE-CE Protocol
    • Configuring Inter-AS MPLS VPN

So whats missing?

1.1.b Describe, implement, and troubleshoot OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 - OSPFv3 is missing, espc using OSPFv3 to carry ipv4 network LSAs.
    1.2.d Describe, implement, and troubleshoot advanced BGP features, for example, add-path and BGP LS
    1.5.c Describe, implement, and troubleshoot mLDP (including mLDP profiles from 0 to
    9)
    1.6.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot classification and marking
    1.6.b Describe, implement, and troubleshoot congestion management and scheduling, for example, policing, shaping, and queuing
    1.6.c Describe, implement, and troubleshoot congestion avoidance
    1.6.d Describe, implement, and troubleshoot MPLS QoS models (MAM, RDM, Pipe, Short Pipe, and Uniform)
    1.6.e Describe, implement, and troubleshoot MPLS TE QoS (CBTS, PBTS, and DS-TE)
    2.4.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot Internet Peering and Transit
    2.4.b Describe, implement, and troubleshoot IPv6 transition mechanism, for example, NAT44, NAT64, 6RD, and DS Lite
    2.4.c Describe, implement, and troubleshoot Internet peering route and transit policy enforcement
    3.1.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot ethernet technologies
    3.3.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot classification and marking
    3.3.b Describe, implement, and troubleshoot congestion management and scheduling, for example, policing, shaping, and queuing
    3.3.c Describe, implement, and troubleshoot congestion avoidance
    4.1.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot SS0/NSF, NSR, and GR
    5.1.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot control plane protection techniques
    (LPTS and CoPP)
    5.2.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot device management, for example, MPP, SSH, and VTY
    5.2.b Describe, implement, and troubleshoot logging and SNMP security
    5.3.b Describe, implement, and troubleshoot iACL
    5.4.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot timing protocol, for example, NTP,
    1588v2, and SyncE
    5.5.a Describe, implement, and troubleshoot syslog and logging functions
    5.5.b Describe, implement, and troubleshoot SNMP traps, RMON, EEM, and EPC
    5.5.c Describe, implement, and troubleshoot port mirroring protocols, for example, SPAN, RSPAN, and ERSPAN
    5.5.d Describe, implement and troubleshoot NetFlow and IPFIX
    5.5.e Describe, implement, and troubleshoot IP SLA
    5.5.f Describe, implement, and troubleshoot MPLS OAM and Ethernet OAM
    5.6.a Describe network change, implementation, and rollback

Note this is not 100% this is just from a quick glance back and forth. I realize many will look at this list and go huh? QoS is easy! Yes QoS is easy enough in the R&S track, however notice in the SP its on here twice, once for the SP core QoS and once for the SP edge QoS yet in all the work books and boot camps its not even mentioned.

Many of the other topics on here people will look at and go, comeon you know how to configure SSH or basic stuff like that!! sure i do in IOS but in IOS-XE and IOS-XR things are different, many people likely didnt know that on IOS-XR most of that is configured under the admin section vs global config. That brings me to the biggest issue here IOS-XR, none of these boot camps talk about RPL and its power and how you must be 100% proficent with it, there is a blog post by the only person who has passed the CCIE-SP v4 where he talks about this: CCIE - CCIE SPv4 Review by Nick Russo - Daniels Networking Blog .

tldr;
    This boot camp is pretty much spot on what INE has at the moment with their ATC videos:
    27% 1.0 Core Routing - covered OK not 100%
    26% 2.0 Service Provider Based Services - covered OK not 100%
    17% 3.0 Access and Aggregation - covered less than 50%
    13% 4.0 High Availability and Fast Convergence - covered less than 50%
    17% 5.0 Service Provider Security, Service Provider Operation and Management - almost not covered at all.

edit: why am i so salty?? cause i spent ~2000$ in 2014 for INE SP work book/videos and 1500 tokens. i will again restate no complete materials and no rack rentals, im literally gave them money for NOTHING, so Narbiks boot camp to me looks like a 2100$ review of the materials that are 75% complete by INE.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are there ANY materials/course work or vendors you DO like? Thanks
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Are there ANY materials/course work or vendors you DO like? Thanks

only ones i can speak to are:
    CCIE-R&S - INE (i passed on version 4, i cant speak to version 5) i used the ATC videos, VOL1-4 workbooks, mock tshoot and mock labs with their rack rentals. these materials are the reason i have my number today.
    CCIE-R&S - Routing-Bits RS book - no longer for sale, no idea why but amazing for filling gaps and final strech review.
    CCIE-SP - Routing-Bits SP book - no longer for sale, no idea why but again amazing for filling gaps and final strech review.
    VIRL - for R&S great, for SP about 70% ok.
    Cisco Press Books - buy used on amazon or get a safari membership.

Those are the only materials that i can say the money i spent was well worth, the rest of the money i have spent im awaiting INE to deliver before my CCIE-SP written 18 months timer runs out.
  • Options
    sea_turtle wrote: »
    edit: why am i so salty?? cause i spent ~2000$ in 2014 for INE SP work book/videos and 1500 tokens. i will again restate no complete materials and no rack rentals, im literally gave them money for NOTHING, so Narbiks boot camp to me looks like a 2100$ review of the materials that are 75% complete by INE.

Heh. You and I can form a support group. I should post the receipts that I spent for the CCIE DC with INE and my rants on regards to that. *hug* You're in good company, my friend.

I would say that I don't expect a bootcamp to hit ALL the points. That's supposed to be a review and where you get protips usually. If you could fit the entire curriculum in a bootcamp, you're CCIEing wrong :P I expect more depth from workbooks and VODs which tie to rack rentals that should complete at least 95-100% of the picture (ideally). I just liked the fact that there's another vendor providing SP bootcamps since the INE ones may or may not run. This seems to indicate that Micronics is going to start investing more into SP.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm more interested in the fact that I just recently started getting collabcert emails on my work email. The only other training emails I get there were INE and IPExpert. It's possible they picked it up from another mailing list, but most of my training stuff goes to my consulting email, not my day job. Someone seems to be sending their customers to collabcert. :P
  • Options
    INE just sent out an email regarding an updated Data Center v2 course. Available May 23rd, $249
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    INE just sent out an email regarding an updated Data Center v2 course. Available May 23rd, $249

It's a live webinar, not the VODs or Workbooks. I wonder if INE decided to throw stuff out there because they saw Jason and Mark Snow starting to release content.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I laughed when I got the email and saw another Prepay offer. ;)
  • Options
    It's a live webinar, not the VODs or Workbooks. I wonder if INE decided to throw stuff out there because they saw Jason and Mark Snow starting to release content.

Yeah I noticed that after but it should be some form of material to help. Regardless I am still going after Jason's and Marks courses as part of my training. I have come to the conclusion I am going to need to use various vendors in my long awaited road for the lab. It is probably a good thing to be forced to seek out various sources of materials anyway.
  • Options
    Absolutely. I have a feeling ACI materials are going to be sparse for awhile so grab everything you can and expect NOTHING to be all inclusive
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□

i totally agree with you on that, INE if they really care they should release a time-line for DC product release.i will look into jason ACI vOD and make payment for it, the content looks rich.

INE need to do more than just what they are doing
  • Options
    ccievirginiaccievirginia Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can at least say this to anyone that is on the Collaboration track. Years ago I used IP Expert when it was still Voice and Vik taught for them. When the test changed to Collaboration, Vik was brave enough to venture out on his own and start CollabCert.com.

I bought his workbooks and a few sessions for his labs. I feel much more comfortable for my exam next week thanks for the key things Vik pointed out.

I think this goes for all CCIE tracks, but you can't treat the exam like the real world. You have to find shortcuts and give yourself plenty of time to complete all the tasks for the lab portion.

After reading all the posts here, it does sound like there are any great vendors for the other tracks. I know, even for Collaboration, I don't want to give one thin dime to INE. They don't seem reputable either.
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    I can at least say this to anyone that is on the Collaboration track. Years ago I used IP Expert when it was still Voice and Vik taught for them. When the test changed to Collaboration, Vik was brave enough to venture out on his own and start CollabCert.com.

I bought his workbooks and a few sessions for his labs. I feel much more comfortable for my exam next week thanks for the key things Vik pointed out.

I think this goes for all CCIE tracks, but you can't treat the exam like the real world. You have to find shortcuts and give yourself plenty of time to complete all the tasks for the lab portion.

After reading all the posts here, it does sound like there are any great vendors for the other tracks. I know, even for Collaboration, I don't want to give one thin dime to INE. They don't seem reputable either.

I think to say that INE aren't reputable isn't really a fair comment. If you are using INE for R&S then you'll be very happy with the range and quality of resources they offer.
  • Options
    @Alex - I would agree with you on R&S. Every other track though, I'd disagree. Sadly, they've gotten a bit lazy on the other tracks icon_sad.gif
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    netguykylenetguykyle Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like INE just released SP V4 rack rentals, WOOOOO!!!! Saw this blogpost from Brian McGahan: CCIE SPv4 Rack Rentals Now Available. Also on the live webinar CCIE DC V2 class it looks like it will be recorded and then released for download or on demand format as you call it. Seems to me like they are picking up the pace.
  • Options
    LDhikerLDhiker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Usually the dying trend is the following:

News about the downfall/rumors.
    Customer support is the first to go.
    User base create forum threads.
    Website under construction.
    Domain up for sale.
    Law suits continue.
    People move on from money loss.
  • Options
    There's no hope. There's no employees, the owner is still in jail, and the site is down. I'm assuming some family member grabbed the site and is trying to maintain or figure out how to go from here but honestly... Who's going to run the bootcamps? Trainings? Generate new videos? The only way they could move on is probably open under a new name because it's hard to imagine a lot of people are going to be rushing to pay thousands of dollars for videos/workbooks/bootcamps that might never happen or disappear tomorrow.

Trust me... I don't want IPX to fail but it's already happened.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    cbthutcbthut Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There's no hope. There's no employees, the owner is still in jail, and the site is down. I'm assuming some family member grabbed the site and is trying to maintain or figure out how to go from here but honestly... Who's going to run the bootcamps? Trainings? Generate new videos? The only way they could move on is probably open under a new name because it's hard to imagine a lot of people are going to be rushing to pay thousands of dollars for videos/workbooks/bootcamps that might never happen or disappear tomorrow.

Trust me... I don't want IPX to fail but it's already happened.

per reddit, he's out on bond. he could be 'restructuring' operations :) and scale down operations
  • Options
    He's not out on bond. He just isn't in the custody of Florida. Michigan isn't going to release someone who violated probation and fled the state as a fugitive.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Yep. Just called the St. Clair jail. He's an inmate currently and if you'd like to see him released, it will only cost you $2,000,000. Whoever is playing around with the site, it is not Wayne.

I think we can safely say ipexpert is gone at this point. Even if it attempted to come back under new management, it'd be unlikely to maintain operations without a good reputation and customer base
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    cbthutcbthut Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dang girl! That's some serious charge...
  • Options
    anyone who thinks cisco cares about the ccie-sp will enjoy this: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet