Options

What would you do?

duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been thinking long and hard about when I should take my exam. My dilemma is that I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks, for about 2 weeks. I haven't done any form of exam since I left school, about 13 years ago, and I'm just a little concerned about first-test jitters and the exam completely throwing me.

So should I...

a) Sit the exam in a weeks time and hope that I sneak in, but if fail then put it all down to experience, knowing that next time I might be a bit more composed and know how to take it. I'd still have another week to study hard and give it another go before holiday.

or

b) Leave it until just before holiday and with the extra study, be in a better position to pass it first time.

The problem with option A is that I probably won't pass it and I'll be waisting £84.

The problem with B is that if I fail that one, I'm going to be doing 2 weeks hard out travel and no study, and all that valuable info will be slipping from my mind. I really want to travel knowing that I have passed... Currently I'm leaning towards option A.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    duncnz wrote:
    The problem with option A is that I probably won't pass it and I'll be waisting £84.
    If you don't think that you will pass it -- don't take it. Sure its a learning experience, but failing will still be a shock.

You need as much confidence as you can get to overcome pre-test jitters and durning-test jitters.

Option B ADVANTAGE -- if by some small tiny insignificate possible chance that you could possibly maybe fail the exam -- you have 2 weeks to get over it -- and an Option C for a re-test plan.

Option C -- take the exam a couple weeks after returning from holiday -- after studying hard since you should be so well rested.

Unless there is an overwhelming work reason where you must have the certification by a certain date -- take the exam when you feel fully prepared (or you just can't take any more studying and want to get it over with -- not that I've ever been in this situation). :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Kevin.SmithKevin.Smith Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I agree somewhat. If you haven't set a deadline to have the test taken by (which I always do, it's a motivation thing) then option B is most likely your better choice. I like to get them over with, then start on the next one. Just really hammer on the material that will be on the test and go take it before holiday. Then you'll have a couple weeks to relax before starting on the next one icon_wink.gif . Good luck!
    WIP: A+ Essentials
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I vote for option C.

I can understand your concern about having all of that valuable information slip from your mind. But if that's the case, then you really haven't learned the material. I think you'd be surprised how those two weeks off will allow your brain to absorb all of that information you've been cramming into your head. Once you return to studying after those two weeks, you'll be mentally rested which will enable you to concentrate more on the material.

Enjoy your two weeks off. I'm looking forward to reading your post about passing your CCNA. Good luck!
  • Options
    duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the great advise guys! I think you are all right and that option B/C is the one. I've got an Exam scheduled for Friday this week but if I'm not feeling confident by Wednesday, then I will postpone it 'till the following Friday...