Options

Should I Go For The A.A.S Networking Technology Degree?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
Networking Technology Degree Courses by Semester – Welcome to Wayne Community College | Goldsboro, NC

I want to get into the Information Technology field and this is the route I'm going to take. But I've been hearing some not so good news about the I.T field such as most I.T jobs are outsourced or not in demand so I'm hesitant about getting the degree.

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good program I would do it if you are interested in getting into networking. You can definitely find networking jobs here. Once you get your Associates from a community college, (which is one of the most cost-efficient ways to obtain a degree) you can continue for 2 more years to get a Bachelor's. Along the way, I would also self study for some certs in networking, such a Cisco's CCENT->ICND2 = CCNA, CCNP, etc. Having a degree+certs will make you more marketable and will assist with getting your foot in the door.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    TheNullVoidTheNullVoid Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What would entry level pay be in the Colorado area for a CCNA and a AAS in Network Technology? I am in a similar program. I plan to go to WGU eventually.
  • Options
    What would entry level pay be in the Colorado area for a CCNA and a AAS in Network Technology? I am in a similar program. I plan to go to WGU eventually.

Right now, I am in school for the A+. Nice to meet all of you.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    To answer your other question the pay depends on the company and the role.

If you start in helpdesk figured $13-15 per hour.

A NOC you may be $15-18 per hour.
  • Options
    Can you start off in a NOC role? Is that in Colorado I assume?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Yeah you can start off in a NOC role if you have the background to support it. Meaning you have certs that can justify you can do basics as a level 1 NOC engineer. First jobs are about enthusiasm. How passionate you are about what you do and willing to learn. That will get you farther in the beginning than anything.

As for Colorado I know nothing about Colorado besides mountains and legalized it. I've always lived near major cities Midwest to East Coast.

(Sent from mobile device)