Options

eJPT 22-03-16

lugerluger Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Started eJPT yesterday and almost through module 2 of the Prerequisites chapter. Im going through the course via pdf version which are downloadable. Very easy to follow with clear explanations but honestly yet to learn something new as I have a solid Security and networking background but still a good refresher in some areas. Hoping to get to some new stuff with some actual pen testing in the next modules. Can't do a proper analysis or recommendation for this course as of yet but hoping to get a better view of it in the next couple of days.

Will try to update as much as possible when relevant enough to merit an update.

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight, keep the comments coming. I'm debating having one or two of my people hit either this or the one above it next year.

Question as I've never taken an eLearnSecurity course - are the PDF materials printable? I'm an old school guy and appreciate the PDF when I need to hit the digital copy, but in my primary studies I prefer to print the stuff out. Some companies let you, some don't.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight, keep the comments coming. I'm debating having one or two of my people hit either this or the one above it next year.

Question as I've never taken an eLearnSecurity course - are the PDF materials printable? I'm an old school guy and appreciate the PDF when I need to hit the digital copy, but in my primary studies I prefer to print the stuff out. Some companies let you, some don't.

Yes the pdf's are printable but are water marked with the name and student ID number.

I'm planning on spending 4-5 hours every evening on this one and have it covered all by the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Lurger: welcome to the forums, eJPT is a great choice, I finished the course and will take exam next weekend.

XSS, SQL injection, brute force, authentication hacks, metasploit, were all great topics for me to get my hands on! the Labs and videos are great.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    636-555-3226

If you have people in your team who have no pentesting experience, eJPT is an ideal start...if they have some exposure and are willing to learn, eCPPT is great. Can't beat the price and the hands-on labs. Most learning is in the videos and labs but you have to read the PDFs in the beginning

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Lurger: welcome to the forums, eJPT is a great choice, I finished the course and will take exam next weekend.

XSS, SQL injection, brute force, authentication hacks, metasploit, were all great topics for me to get my hands on! the Labs and videos are great.

Hi UnixGuy, good luck with the exam and im sure u will do fine. Please let us know how it goes :)

I have now finished the Preliminary Skills Prerequisites and first 4 modules of the course. Finally touched some new stuff when going through Wireshark, Burp Suite and Web Applications but nothing extraordinarily hard. I will tackle the labs this evening or tomorrow morning. Next up are the 2 programming modules of C++ and Python. This is my weak point as coding is not really my thing. I can manage to read and understand basic Python code but C++ is completely new for me. Fingers crossed i'll get through them without too much mental damage icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    636-555-3226

If you have people in your team who have no pentesting experience, eJPT is an ideal start...if they have some exposure and are willing to learn, eCPPT is great. Can't beat the price and the hands-on labs. Most learning is in the videos and labs but you have to read the PDFs in the beginning

The way im going through this course is first read all the material including the videos then tackle the labs all at once for every section of the course.

UnixGuy, just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to go through all the course material and videos?
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Which plan did you go with for the eCPPT? I'm waiting to get back into the eCPPT but the money is a little funny right now.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Completed course including the videos last week after a good 20 hours. Started the labs and im on lab 4. I should be done with the labs sometime next weeks and hopefully also clear off the exam soon after.

Overall its a good course for the beginner pen tester but i do suggest anyone thinking of taking this course to brush up on basic networking as this will help with the most part of the course. Enjoyed the cookies, Burp Suite, Wireshark and Metasploit sections of the course including SQLi and XSS....all new stuff for me but nothing overwhelming.

For the programming sections i suggest doing some basic online Python and C++ online tutorials or you will get lost along the way. I had been searching for weeks for a good online Python tutorial as i was having a really hard time comprehending Python but to be honest i was never into coding. Then i came across this online tutorial which i cant recommend highly enough. In a couple of weeks of starting the tutorial i could finally understand Python and read code. Trust me if i managed then anyone can.

Learn Python The Hard Way

Hopefully upon successful completion of the eJPT exam, i will proceed to eCPPT and by the end of 2016, I will be also tackling the OSCP course.
  • Options
    I was gonna suggest the Python book while reading your post. I also brought a book on "C" for beginners :)

The prices for eCPPT hasn't gone up yet, which is great. I'm looking to start the eCPPT soon, if everything goes alright.

Are you just staying with the tools in the course or are you trying different tools in Kali Linux?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    I was gonna suggest the Python book while reading your post. I also brought a book on "C" for beginners :)

The prices for eCPPT hasn't gone up yet, which is great. I'm looking to start the eCPPT soon, if everything goes alright.

Are you just staying with the tools in the course or are you trying different tools in Kali Linux?

Im still on lab 4 and have only used tools learnt in the course but im assuming that the eCPPT course will be a different animal and lots of research involved so trying out new tools will be a necessity.
  • Options
    luger wrote: »
    Im still on lab 4 and have only used tools learnt in the course but im assuming that the eCPPT course will be a different animal and lots of research involved so trying out new tools will be a necessity.

I would suggest playing with different tools now, just for fun. It'll be like using more than one resource just in case one tools misses something. Maybe one tool is way easier to use or the output is better. This is just some stuff that I've experienced while doing the course. Bash scripting might be able to help you out too. I tried to make a Bash script for nmap, where I just had to put in the ip address and mask.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    I don't think you need either python or C++ for eJPT though

• Options
    I'm half way through the labs and really having fun. If only life does not get in the way i would have been done with this ages ago icon_sad.gif

Will surely clear all the labs this week and then on with the exam. Not sure what to expect in the exam but anticipation and excitement already starting to soar!
  • Options
    Ok so finally got the time to go through with this exam. All i can say is that if you dont take the easy question for granted, then you are in for an easy one. Overlook the simplest of questions and you're in for a hard time just as i did.

Could be my over confidence or huge stress i put myself in for this test but i just was not thinking straight as soon as i got stuck and wasted too much time on the same question. I finally decided to steer away from it and tackle the other questions which i knocked off in no time yet i still had that obstacle that needed to be unlocked for me to proceed! As soon as that was unlocked, i pretty much breezed through the remainder of the questions except 2 of them which by that time i was so tired that i just was not thinking straight so i just a had guess at them but deep down i knew i had enough good ones to put me through.

In fact i got a 90% correct answers and 2 wrong, most probably the ones i just had a go at since i was pretty sure the other 18 were correct. In total this test took me around 14hrs to complete and after all that stress, when i submitted the test instead of getting my result i got an error page! I tried to calm my frustrations down and i opened the test environment again and thankfully enough, all my questions were still saved. All i had to do was submit the test again and the result popped up in a second with a huge sigh of relief with the positive result.

Last and not least i would like to thank from the bottom of my heart jamesleecoleman for all his encouragement during my initial big obstacle. He did by no means reveal or even give the slightest hint of how to solve to puzzle but just pure encouragement and pretty sure i was annoying him with my rants at one stage but he did not stop encouraging me all through those 14hrs!

Now off to get some sleep as im totally beat!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on passing the eJPT! What's next for you?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats on passing the eJPT! What's next for you?

Thanks man :)

I had initially planned in taking the PTP course followed by OSCP but due to work obligations i have to proceed in doing SSCP. Not my cup of tea honestly but seeing that my work is paying for all my courses and they need a guy SSCP certified then im willing to compromise ;) I am also currently doing an LPIC class twice a week in the evenings so im going to have my hands quite full for most of 2016.

I will still be booking the PTP course and start it as soon as im done with SSCP considering the 20% discount. Even though im not paying for it, its still a good deal not to be missed considering its original price.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Just FYI, that ELS 20% discount ends on 4/30. I'd go ahead and use it and get the Elite package that way it has no expiration.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Just FYI, that ELS 20% discount ends on 4/30. I'd go ahead and use it and get the Elite package that way it has no expiration.

Yeah i know about that....in fact i will book it today or tomorrow and start it when i have SSCP out of the way. Thanks for the heads up though :)