Which VCP certification should I focus on?

FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have list of certifications that I want to take this year and was looking to add one to the list. One of them is the VCP but, I am unsure of which one I should take. I was thinking of taking the DTM version which is Desktop and Mobility. Are the other ones like Network Virtualization, Data Center Virtualization, and Cloud Management and Automation more lucrative to go into and are there more jobs dealing with these than the Desktop Mobility. What's your take?

Comments

• kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Which do you have experience in? The VCP is nothing to skim at. I've been working with Virtualization since 2013 and I still struggle with just the DCV exam. I've put many hours into it and come close to passing and only just missing by a couple of questions (anywhere up to 5ish - due to scoring) - In a business sense, there are a lot of components I haven't had much experience with and it seems to be the part that seems to let me down each time.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kj0 wrote: »
    Which do you have experience in? The VCP is nothing to skim at. I've been working with Virtualization since 2013 and I still struggle with just the DCV exam. I've put many hours into it and come close to passing and only just missing by a couple of questions (anywhere up to 5ish - due to scoring) - In a business sense, there are a lot of components I haven't had much experience with and it seems to be the part that seems to let me down each time.

I have experience with the Desktop and Mobility but unsure if I will go for it. Was thinking of taking the VCA version of it then going onto the VCP but I hear VCA is not worth it.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The VCA's value is mostly in getting you ready for VCP. If you don't have VCP already, and are considering the VCP6 track, it's now two exams anyway, one of which is a common fundamentals exam, and the other is an exam for the track you want (datacenter, network virtualisation, desktop and mobility, cloud). You only need to do that fundamentals exam once if you decide that you want to pursue another track.

If you feel weak in a subject, it can be useful to do some really easy stuff to build your confidence. Doing the VCA exam also gets you familiar with Vmware's exam format.

The DCV track is the 'default' track, but I think it probably makes sense to at least start with what you know, and then branch out to other areas.

So, you might start with the VCA6-DTM, then do the fundamentals exam, and then consider what is interesting. You can do the fundamentals exam before or after you complete one of the required training courses. There's also an optional short (6 hour) online course for the fundamentals exam.

One track might be: Self study -> VCA6-DTM exam -> Fundamentals short course -> Fundamentals exam -> Horizon (with View): Install, Configure, Manage [V6] training -> more self study -> VCP6-DTM exam.

Once you have one VCP in any track, you don't need to do any of the required training to get the other tracks. So you could then just do self study and get VCP6-DCV.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Other than my current company I don't know if the DCA has a lot of market value and $120 is quite a bit to blow only to have to do another $120 on the fundamentals exam right after.

My suggestion would be to download the exam blueprints you're interested it (DCV, DTM) and read through them. Look at the recommended sources and read those. Maybe do the 7 day pluralsight trial and watch some of the VCP6-DCV training there. If you have dreamspark you get 90 days which is even better. I think they have some older horizon stuff but not on the new version.

There is a free VCA-DTM training on VMware's site that may help you see if you're interested in that path.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the info.