Options

Giving up on CCNA Security

AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I think I've spent just over four months trying to study for CCNA Security but it just isn't sticking for me. I scored just about 70% on all the Boson exams which is well below what I would need to pass the actual test. I'm not sure what else I could have done to pick up the material since I went through the book, did CBT Nuggets, Udemy course, Packet Tracer labs, installed ASAv along with ASDM in my virtual lab, and kept diligent study notes that I reviewed frequently. I'm guessing the problem is that I just don't work in networking on a daily basis. I don't know the stuff that actual network techs pick up through the course of their daily tasks and I have no way of learning that without becoming a network tech.

Oh well. I like being informed on networking and storage but my wheelhouse is Windows and VMware. Guess I can't be a jack of all trades like I want to be icon_sad.gif

Thanks to everyone in the community here that helped me out over the past few months. I'm going to move over to the Windows 10 forum where I'll be working to upgrade my MCSA in Windows 8. Should be a much easier experience than CCNA Security has been! Maybe I'll come back around to CCNA again sometime in the future if I ever get a job that requires that work. Until then, I'll at least be able to say that I was once a CCNA :)

Comments

• Options
    LaunchpadLaunchpad Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You've already put so much effort into studying, why not just go for the actual exam? If you fail then it's essentially a $250 practice exam and you know what you need to study for next time.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I'm guessing the problem is that I just don't work in networking on a daily basis.

Why not build a lab at home? There is a ASA vm.
  • Options
    greeneongreeneon Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Why not build a lab at home? There is a ASA vm.

This is also one way to go! All virtual baby!

VIRL - Virtual Internet Routing Lab
  • Options
    AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies all. I did setup my own virtual lab with ASAv and used Packet Tracer for studying but for some reason what I was trying to learn just didn't stick. I think I have to just accept that networking isn't my strength anymore. Moved a lot more into the virtualization world in the past couple years. I guess specialization really is the name of the game. I tried being a jack of all trades for many years now but it just doesn't seem feasible anymore. I'll at least be able to say I was a CCNA for six years :)
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that you may just be a little burnt out on the subject. Give yourself a little time in another domain. Virtualization seems pretty entertaining to you for now. I think that you'll perhaps come to miss the networking aspect a little.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    How about mixing the two and looking at network virtualization with the VMware NV exams?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear, seems like you wanted the CCNA Security to renew your CCNA R&S? It's great that you are going to continue and pursue other things and perhaps you will go back and finish the CCNA Security because you were so close.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None