ccna 3 scaling networks HSRP question

tweettroopertweettrooper Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello,

i'm currently in my ccna 3. we have to make a project.i have a question for my project. we have to make 3 sites. i have made networks with vlans configured everything routers & switches. added dhcp pools for vlans. added switch security. added rapid pvst and etherchannel.
i have made everything in packet tracer and everything is working.

i want to configure HSRP on the 3 routers i have. i know i have to use the standby ip command. and preemt.
but i don't know if i have to make standby ip for all vlans ? ? ?

do you need standby for serial connection also ?

can someone help me with this question pls thanx !

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes you do. It's best to have a link to your packet tracer file.
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    but i don't know if i have to make standby ip for all vlans ? ? ?

As it says the virtual IP address need to be in the same subnet, and every VLAN you have there has a subnet of its own so, the answer is YES (as far as I know).
    do you need standby for serial connection also ?

Are you asking about the Inside connection (like all the routers are connected using serial to each other), if that's the case no you can't use HSRP between serial links (as per my knowledge and I looked for in my simulator didn't show). If you are asking about outside connection which is serial, what you do is "track" the interface which will make you switch the active router if the external link fails.

Hope that helps..
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • tweettroopertweettrooper Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have 3 routers connected with serials and ospf routing
    on the routers i have configured my vlans on the giganet's so like g0/1.10 vlan 10 and so on
    so i cannot do hsrp ??? :o my routers need to be connected with giga or fastether ?? not serials ? correct ?

maybe i can upload the pkt file ? you can have a look pls ?

how can i upload the pkt, i don't have insert file
    okay if someone is willing to help me pls, you can take a look at this pkt file
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/xym4othx2lr9d6n/ccna_project.pkt
    Yes just attach the file.. here lets us take a look..
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
    i don't have permission for attachements- i don't know why. but i apparently don't have enough permissions for that ik copied a link to mediafire i hope that works
    You don't have any redundancy in your core and distribution layer. If site 1 goes down then internet access is lost. If site 2 goes down area 2 can't reach the rest of the network and the same for site 3.
    Now I get it, the reason you couldn't do HSRP is you only have one router at each site. So the singe life supply router at each site goes down there is no way they can communicate to other sites. So what you can do is add one more router at each site and do the HSRP config which will give the redundancy you want. There is a back drop for it each router requires 4 serial ports (LOL) and here is how the structure looks like. (I only have site 1 connected to both sites and look how it looks) . Too many connections right..!

NOTE: Each CIRCLE (like thing :P) is a router here..

You can do frame_relay if you want to impress your instructor and reduce the number of connections at each router and as you know that's how its in real world (well MPLS it is now :P ).. but it requires you to configure the cloud and also few more configuration steps. This is how it looks . If you dont want to take the burden just remove the cloud and replace it with real connections and HSRP groups will help you understand how at each site you maintain a group of edge routers with redundancy..

Hope that helps..
    Thank you so much for your time with this. i'm already happy that someone has taken the time to take a look.
    yes i haven't set the 2nd router for each site yet. so each site should have a second router. but the thing is, like you say nans. this would mean a lot of connections. and lot of hassel to configure. i haven't configured something like this before. and i'm struggeling with this. i can do vlans and ospf but this seems bit more problems. because i need to configure redundancy to all the sites ? for each point a view. i don't know if i can do this. the frame relay thing i don't know. haven't heared it yet.
    dear sir, could i maybe contact you threw other source (mail) for more info about my project. if you are willing to help me futher with this. much appreciated. because i don't have the knowledge to setup all of this.
    thank you so much in advance.
    if not i think it will stop here. and leave it like this. hopefully it will be enough.
    thank you for your time !
    kind regards
  • pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    did the same lab actually for our 3rd semester,not sure why someone said hsrp wouldnt work on serial links but thats what we got on lab paper scheme, all routers connected wia serial-going out to isp which was just a loopback address,except etherchannel having its own links for redundancy,but all networks were on same vlan if remember correctly.

Given your on 3rd semester you wouldnt know about wan or frame relay.
    easiest way i see to make it happen as said create isp loopback address,and instead add one single vlan to share between switches on your remaining 2 networks.

I know only issue we encountered while doing lab that even after plugging one of the cables out from router it still wouldnt choose to use stanby router -but connection was rerouted,thus think as mentioned we didnt do the track interfaces.

Heres really handy and short cbt video to do all hsrp commands:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0VfCnULxM&list=WL&index=85
    thank you pinkiaiii for your info and advice.
    the problem is i have multiple vlans. if i understand correctly i can add multiple hsrp groups for my vlans not ?
    it's just gonna get complicated i asume. that being said. is it needed for the second (standby) router to add all the configuration like encapsulations, dhcp pool, router ospf config. or can i just add the hsrp commands to it and done ??
    sorry for all my questions, we haven't been givenmore info. and our instructor has left us to our self. icon_sad.gif
    very much appreciate all your comments, info and advice! thank you all
    Hey we are all here to help..! So no worries.

1. Those lot of connections just need some basic configurations (IP address,and some OSPF config to form neighbourships). If you can work hard with some concentration should not be a problem. (Don't use 1914, use 2911 just that you can have enough serial slots ) and try to maximize the workspace which will give you clear view and document it there next to the devices which will help you a lot later.

2. If you use frame relay that will be easy too, but since you didn't know about it don't push too hard take it easy..

3. Whats with the VLAN's since you use SVI's at the router don't worry about it they will work across all the sites. If you are speaking about addressing its easy just plan accordingly (make the pool such that they have 3 addresses to use for the routers SVI's as gateways and the VIRTUAl HSRP gateway address ).

Example: Say you have VLAN 20 which requires 16 hosts go for /27 address which will give you 32 hosts and will help you configure 2 address (one at router 1 and other at router 2's SVIs will be default gateways) and 1 for HSRP (Virtual address which should be in the same subnet which will be used as default gateway on all the hosts). Easy right..!

4. Be confident and don't panic, will only lead you to confuse and stop thinking. Its easy you can do it..

NOTE: I might be wrong at some places..please correct me if I am wrong.
  • pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    thank you pinkiaiii for your info and advice.
    the problem is i have multiple vlans. if i understand correctly i can add multiple hsrp groups for my vlans not ?
    it's just gonna get complicated i asume. that being said. is it needed for the second (standby) router to add all the configuration like encapsulations, dhcp pool, router ospf config. or can i just add the hsrp commands to it and done ??
    sorry for all my questions, we haven't been givenmore info. and our instructor has left us to our self. icon_sad.gif
    very much appreciate all your comments, info and advice! thank you all

If im not mistaking you can have up to 255 hsrp protocols running- thus if your setup is right you would just need to use standy router 1 ip 1.1 network ,then do same command for another vlan that would match its subnet thus standby router 2 virtual ip 3.1 etc ? just not sure would router support multiple hsrps on single link ?

But that said if all routers are running ospf wouldnt route summarization and ospf command default-information originate take care of all vlans thus just connecting extra router on top with ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x would just be needed to point all vlans to use summary gateway address as exit point for all vlans as default gateway .Since from what i remember you use two ip routes,one pointing to exit interface and next say to your isp ip thus > if route is 0.0.0.0 >its sent to top routers ip which would be configured with route summarization and this allowing you to use single virtual gateway for all vlans.now thats just theoretical stuff,and bare in mind i know as much as you do in such scenario and sorta guessing here.
    default-information originate will not work for PC. HSRP give a backup for the default gateway.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's a HSRP Packet Tracer lab tutorial that may help -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT9T0hla9qQ
    thank you for the link ! much appreciated
    would this work ??? eum i'm not really good with these diagram things they look scruffy i know. i have absolutely no born skills for this kinda things. but hey it 'll do.

i have finished my project, is there someone who is willing to revise this for me ??