Options

Moving on up - To the Senior Engineer Side!!!

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
I accepted an offer yesterday to become a Sr. Network Engineer for a Fortune 250 company. I really like the group I'll be working with and the diversity of equipment I'll be learning to utilize.

It is only 20 minutes from home so my family life should improve greatly (As I am gone 12 hours a day now between work and travel). I am very excited about this and so are my kiddos who I never get to see more than an hour and a half a day.

Only downside, honestly, is their insurance is horrible which is fine I'll just go purchase my own family plan as it appears to be cheaper for the same coverage level.

I am leaving a job who keeps telling me networking is a dying field and that I should really become a generalist as the entire network process is being automated. People will deploy networks at a push of a button. I will make sure I document as much as I can for the next guy but I feel bad for whomever takes me place.

Thanks TechExams for the support and motivation to keep moving forward.
(PS I joined the 6 figure club)

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gratz kohr-ah! icon_thumright.gif Enjoy that extra time!
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats man! The six figure club is nice, but the 20 minute drive and more time with family is key. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    That is great news! Having a 20 minute drive is so worth it. Its one of my favorite perks of the job.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club. Warning, the mystique does wear off really quickly. Congrats on your new role!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity if any of you have had to buy your own health insurance for your family before can you PM me? I've never done this and dont even know where to begin.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do it as a contractor, head over to the healthcare exchange, or whatever site your state uses. Plug in your data, get quotes, go from there. You can PM me if you have specific questions you don't want public.

Actually, looking at the post again, you are offered insurance, but it isn't a great option, not sure if you can use the exchange in that case.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new job kohr-ah and welcome to the club!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratz!

Careful with insurance, I just filed my federal taxes yesterday with itemization and calculated my overall healthcare expenses being whopping 26k for 2015 for a family of four because of HDHP and premiums going up.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Seeing your CCNP and CCDP makes me think I'm on the right track :)
  • Options
    Congratz!

Careful with insurance, I just filed my federal taxes yesterday with itemization and calculated my overall healthcare expenses being whopping 26k for 2015 for a family of four because of HDHP and premiums going up.

I feel you on that icon_sad.gif
    I just checked what I pay at my current work and if I am reading this right the government healthcare plans are better for less per month than I am paying right now (I am averaging 13k a year for PPO atm)
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!! Extra family time is a big plus!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I hope to join the club in the next few years!
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    joelsfood wrote: »
    Congrats man! The six figure club is nice, but the 20 minute drive and more time with family is key. Enjoy it!

I agree on that.

One word of advice to new members of the 6-figure club, spend money like you're still in the 5-figure club and you'll be much happier.

Also, welcome to the "every cent I make this year until April goes to the f***ing IRS" club. Our tax bracket gets raped.
  • Options
    Thanks all !

My goal now is family time, get my bachelor's from WGU, keep the network and virtual knowledge up, and financial stability up to date for retirement (i am behind) so if in a year or two of I decide to move on I have an easier time finding work and write my own ticket.

My goal is to live like I make 70k plus my wife's income of I can or as close to it as I can.

(For those without kids Daycare sucks in terms of money)
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I accepted an offer yesterday to become a Sr. Network Engineer for a Fortune 250 company. I really like the group I'll be working with and the diversity of equipment I'll be learning to utilize.

I am leaving a job who keeps telling me networking is a dying field and that I should really become a generalist as the entire network process is being automated. People will deploy networks at a push of a button. I will make sure I document as much as I can for the next guy but I feel bad for whomever takes me place.

Thanks TechExams for the support and motivation to keep moving forward.
    (PS I joined the 6 figure club)

Congrats on the upward move. Don't feel bad as robots don't have feelings ;)
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the new position and welcome to the club! Enjoy yourself, continue to learn and grow and you'll have a great time.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management