Options

should i move?

kp10tangkp10tang Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started my current job 6 months ago.
Company has full blown Cisco system although they are old. Nexus 7K,5K,2K, Voip, Wireless, Catalyst, MPLS, ASA 5540, etc
Although i am a network engineer, i only support our branches. Once core devices are set up, you don't really touch unless there is a problem or project.
I do not want to call branches or stores and contact ISP....etc. No technical daily job.
I've done some few tech stuff but those are the things i knew before i join this company. I get paid 85K.
Should I move to where I get to challenge and get to do Cisco stuff or stay little longer?
Company is doing bad financially and my boss is super nice and flexible guy.

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Define financially doing bad. As in you are going to have layoffs because of it or profits are down this year??

What does your job history look like? Have you stayed at previous companies a year or two or do you hop jobs after a short time??

Can you make it a year and then look?

Everyone gets one short hop once in a while but I tell most people to try to make it at least a year. Learn new skills to make yourself more marketable and then leave.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    A little bit more background is definitely needed. As kohr-ah said, we need to get a sense of your longevity at previous jobs. I can easily explain a short stint but if this is a trend, it may raise some eyebrows.