Options

GSLC vs CISM, thoughts?

CV33CV33 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Haven't seen anything on the forum comparing the two so I thought I would post.

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cross post. I'll reply to your other one
  • Options
    crossbow16crossbow16 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have both the GSLC and the CISM.

From a learning and real-world application perspective: I've learned a lot of real-world information from taking the GSLC class and exam. The CISM was less practical, but still very educational and useful. The CISM also helps to support the CISA (and ValIT, Cobit, etc) thought processes.

From a resume value perspective: The CISM is more well known, and many job postings specify a CISM. Very few mention the GSLC.

If I had to choose only 1, I would choose the CISM based on it marketing value.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I find the greatest value in the GSLC is how it maps out to specific positions in the DoD 8570 chart. So, Military, DoD and government jobs recognize the GSLC. Combine that with a security clearance of Secret and above and it's a great career track if you are near a military base of the DC Metro area.

The only position where CISM does not overlap with the GSLC is for CND-SP Manager positions, which is not a common job to be filled. So for me at this time, the GSLC is great.

I'm looking at possibilities to expand into other commercial industries, so the CISM looks promising. Especially for IT Directors and VPs where it is a common requirement.