Passed Security+

EdinEdin Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ this afternoon after two months of rigorous studying. This was the single most hardest exam I've ever taken, never have experienced anything like this.

I would estimate at least 35% of the content was not covered in the objectives or any materials, and, at least 40% of the exam involved best guessing where the question was structured in such complexity that it was hard to decipher what the question was exactly asking.

Simulations were easy and straightforward, questions were structured directly but of-course you needed to know the answer to correctly answer them.

I used the following material for studying:

1. Get my feet wet with CBT Nuggets SY0 401, I watched all the videos, made notes and used this as a resource to only get my feet wet with the content needed for the Security+ exam. I would not advise using this as your only resource.

2. CompTIA Security+ SY0401 Academic edition by David L. Prowse; this was very high quality and was my main resource to study from.

3. Professor Messer videos - lacking in a lot of ways, only used to further cement or supplement existing study information.

Very hard exam! lol

Comments

• Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you think you could have passed with just the David L. Prowse book? I'm planning on using just his book, but not the academic version. I wonder what the difference is between the academic and non-academic versions?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • EdinEdin Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Do you think you could have passed with just the David L. Prowse book? I'm planning on using just his book, but not the academic version. I wonder what the difference is between the academic and non-academic versions?

I'm confident I could have passed with just David L. Prowse's book - it's very high quality content. I'm not sure what the academic version is compared to the regular version, I speculate it's just that the academic version is hardback cover?

But all in all that book was the core of all my studies, everything else was just supplemental and not necessary.
  • techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    Congrats man! David Prowse is a very good author and teacher.
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • scottlinscottlin Banned Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! What's next for you?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • EdinEdin Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congrats! What's next for you?

CCNA Routing and Switching is next on my list.
  • 9emin19emin1 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats man. this is something I've been considering too and might give it a go in the future
    CREST CCT APP, CRT, CPSA.
    Offensive Security OSCE, OSCP, OSWP
    SANS GCIH
    https://9emin1.github.io/
  • sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • ortizf3ortizf3 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□