Options

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
Will the 3550 last me a good amount of time or should I buy the 3560 or 3750 instead? 3550's are way cheaper and I want something that I won't have to turn and throw away in a year or two.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on what you are going to be doing with it. It should be perfect for CCNA level content and mostly for NP. They cannot however do PVLANS, you would need a beefier switch for that but I think worth the investment of that they go for ($50?). Or you could spend equal money on VIRL or none on GNS3. There will be more limitations with IOU though.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    pearljam wrote: »
    Will the 3550 last me a good amount of time or should I buy the 3560 or 3750 instead? 3550's are way cheaper and I want something that I won't have to turn and throw away in a year or two.

Thanks
    What is your goal? Just CCNA? are you going for CCNP and CCIE?
    I think 3550 is good if you want to be exposed to the hardware.
  • Options
    My goal is CCIE
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    for the ccie you will need switches that can run version 15 of the ios. The 3550 can not.

if your looking to start the ccie soon the 3560 "ts" model are about the cheapest your going to fine. Then there are the V2 models of the 3560 and 3750. Then there are the G models with gigabit ports.

I'd wait until it is summer. People are out of school and enjoying summertime activities and not looking to buy lab equipment. So, lower demand mean lower prices.
  • Options
    And it should be EMI?
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on which image you get the EMI or SMI.
  • Options
    the 3560 and 3750 hardware can run either the ipbase (smi) or ipservices (emi) version of the ios. yes you have to have ipservices version of the ios. But, if you have one copy, you can copy it to all the others even if they came with the smi verison.
  • Options
    it is acceptable for the ccnp but not for the ccie. It can not run version 15 of the ios.