Options

How to Break the Ice - First PT Job/internship

PragmaticZealotPragmaticZealot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
I'm currently studying IT part time at my local university. I already have a BS in psychology but I've decided to go into IT due to the poor job prospects in the mental health/social services field. My 1st semester is coming to a close and I'm trying to get an internship or PT job in the IT field (either just for the summer or year around). So far, I have applied to 2 places and got rejected by both of them. I have no prior work experience in the computer field. What are some things I can do to break the ice and get into the field? I will keep searching/applying for more positions as I find them. But I want to improve my chances. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get some certs and volunteer at non-profits (churches, shelters, etc) to get some tangible experience on your resume. Both will help you get an entry level job.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    What type of IT roles are you applying for? Try going for some entry level certifications like A+ or Network+. I would also advise you to apply for service desk/desktop support roles if you arent already doing that.

Also, see if you can find the hiring officials on LinkedIn or something and reach out the them directly. I have done that in the past and been successful.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    PragmaticZealotPragmaticZealot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right now, I work PT at my local walmart in the photolab, so at least I'm "employed". I was thinking about getting an A+ certification over the summer if nothing pans out with a new job.

The first job I applied for was an on campus desktop support position (open for students only). The 2nd was an IT support internship for a local company. I applied to these 2 because they looked like the lowest hanging fruit on the tree. I can post both job descriptions if that helps. I will definitely do some digging around on linkedin and see how that goes. Would I need a paid premium profile to do what you are saying or is the free one just fine?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might want to consider in addition to voluntary positions maybe something like working as a service tech at Fry's or Best Buy to help build some basic experience while obtaining certs at the same time. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You might want to consider in addition to voluntary positions maybe something like working as a service tech at Fry's or Best Buy to help build some basic experience while obtaining certs at the same time. ;)

I agree. A little service tech experience and a cert or two will definitely get you something.