Options

CPE requirements.

keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
I've received several PM's with questions concerning CPE requirements for CISSP as far as continuing education is concerned. Here they are.

For

Direct Information Systems Security Activities
Group A credits are given for completion of activities which relate directly to the information systems security profession. Generally, this consists of work in the areas covered by the 10 domains of the CISSP CBK.

[Group A Credits]
Access control systems & methodology
Telecommunications & network security
Security management practices
Applications & system development security
Cryptography
Security architecture and models
Operations security
Business continuity planning [BCP]
Law, investigation and ethics
Physical security

Professional Skills Activities
Group B credits are given for completion of activities which enhance a CISSP's overall professional skills, education, knowledge or competency. These include professional development programs, such as professional speaking or management courses. While these activities do not apply directly to the field of information security, these skills are vital in the growth of all professionals, and (ISC)² recognizes their value to the CISSP.

[Group B Credits]
Organizational behavior
Strategic planning
Programming languages & techniques
Tools and techniques
Interpersonal communications skills
Interviewing techniques
Team development skills

Continuing Professional Education credits are given for experience exceeding that of normal on-the-job training or experience. For instance, while time spent independently preparing an information security presentation for a community organization would qualify for Group A CPE credits, an equivalent amount of time spent on the job preparing a client presentation would NOT qualify. Typically, education qualifying for CPE credits will be gained outside the workplace.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I just discovered a PowerPoint slide presentation by Hal Tipton on the ISSA Los Angeles Web site that accompanied a presentation on CPEs used for maintaining (ISC)2 certifications. There doesn't seem to be a video of the presentation, but I thought people might be interested in the info on the slides anyway.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About CPEs by Hal Tipton
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could I claim CPEs if I would complete a certification using self study and not be attending a class? If so, how would I determine the number of hours?

If I could use them, my thoughts would be to base it off of the number of hours that the recommended course has. MS course 2830 is the recommended course for exam 70-298 (Designing Windows 2003 Security). That course is 3 days, so if I assume 7 hours of training per day, that would be 21 hours.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete