Options

How to use TFTP for my Cisco lab?

Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi! I wanted to know how to download and use TFTP for my Cisco switches. The book I have really doesn't go into detail on how to actually install such a program on your computer.

Thanks so much for the help!

Comments

• Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Download a TFTP server and install it straight forward. Then do

copy tftp:c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE6.bin <enter> and follow the prompt. You will need the correct file name I don't know the file you are using.
  • Options
    Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I am having trouble finding a TFTP server. Can you recommend one? Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TFTPD32 will work.

If your switches are layer 3, the easiest thing you can do is enable routing on an interface, say Gi0/1, and assign an IP address, say 10.0.0.1/24. Plug a cable into that port, and run it to your computer. Change your computer's IP address to 10.0.0.2/24 with 10.0.0.1 as your DGW. Download the IOS image you want to use, place it in your TFTP directory, and on your switch, do a copy tftp://10.0.0.2/<ios image name> flash:

It's been a bit since I've done it, but if I recall correctly, these are accurate steps. I can probably assist further if you have problems, I've done this a lot and was almost about to do it the other day but did not need to.

Note, you might need to set the TFTP source on your switch to Gi0/1.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for TFTPD I think I use 64 though.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Hi! I wanted to know how to download and use TFTP for my Cisco switches. The book I have really doesn't go into detail on how to actually install such a program on your computer.

Thanks so much for the help!
    Here is an example on how to use it.
    Steps by step of 3850 IOS Upgrade - All Syntax No Theory