Options

Getting into I.T via Education

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
Is pursuing an A.A.S degree in Networking Technology worth pursing to land a job in I.T if you have no work experience in I.T, just recreational or hobbie related experience?

Comments

• Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It may help you get your foot in the door. If you can, try volunteering in the lab at school to get some additional hands on experience. Even volunteer work still provides you with experience.

Depending on the program, you may be able to work on some certification along the way.

There is no promise that the degree alone will get you in, but it won't hurt you. Anything you can do to assist with getting the initial role.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It won't land you some high-paying awesome job, but it'll assist in getting you a basic help desk job, which is where a great deal of IT folks start their careers.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AAS ended up getting me my first IT job with no experience and no certifications. It's a good start. Or if you know what you want to do, you could alternatively get a certification (e.g. A+ or N+) then transfer into WGU for your BS. Either way though, working towards that will help get your foot in there door.

And +1 to volunteering experience. Ask your school about it or ask some churches around town.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would be willing to bet i had less experience than you when i started school. i started with an internship my 2nd year of my A.A.S. and got hired on part-time after that. stayed there until i finished my B.S. and got a full time job as a Systems Admin right after that. while finishing my A.A.S. i started my own PC consulting business and that definitely ramped up my learning curve
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got into IT with my education through the AAS degree, an internship program through my school, and the A+ certification. I did this before I graduated and it helped me land my first contract job. Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif

I second the recommendation for volunteering at churches or schools.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Woohoo I can chime in!

So I have an A.A.S in Network Technologies from College of Dupage here in Illinois.

It will help. It beats having no degree and I tell people even is positions ask for Bachelors in Technology, be it CIS, CIT, whatever APPLY APPLY APPLY. You are not ruled out.

Here is my word of advice that those who were in my college took compared to those that didn't it helped more. Get certified. CIT degrees usually put you into A+,Net+, Sec+, CCNA, etc courses and your school MANY times can get you vouchers at a very reduced rate. I got my CCNA for $70 (in 2009) via CoD. If you take the class and you have the money go take the exam.

Then when you leave you have an AAS in CIT and you also leave with A+, Net+, Sec+, etc and guess what you are better off than those leaving with just an AAS looking for work.

Also APPLY to jobs while going to school if you can do even part time unless it messes with your schooling. Boast how excited you are to learn networking. Try to get in a help desk job, anything because then you have experience when you graduate as well.

The world is yours. The only thing that can stop you is you.