Options

100k in <3 years - goal accomplished

Comments

• Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well deserved promotions for sure. You busted your buns to get yourself there! Congrats!!!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, well done! I'm sure this story will inspire the rest of us.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very impressive! Sounds like you are working for a great company that looks out for their folks and gives them great opportunities to learn and grow. Also you busted your butt to do the same.

Congrats!

This part is so true! I've seen too many times, even in the company that I work for, where they take someone from help desk, promote them to a lower sysadmin and give them a 2K/year raise. Then they wonder why they left a year later for double their salary. Take care of your people and they'll be a lot more loyal.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man makes we wonder what I've done with my life! Almost seven years of full time experience and haven't cracked $70k. Congrats op!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    actually, one of the things that I have learned from my current boss is that timing is everything in the workplace.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Good job OP! I stayed in my first job for 7 yrs and had similar progress!

DevOps is hot, and your experience is priceless now. Wish I could bring myself to have interest in DevOps! Good job!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Man makes we wonder what I've done with my life! Almost seven years of full time experience and haven't cracked $70k. Congrats op!

Same here. I have been doing IT for over 15 years and just hit 80k. Great motivation to get off my ass and do something with my life ;) Granted, kids, ex-wives, and making dumb decisions along they way slow down the best laid plans.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on your progress. Thank you for sharing your journey.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    What impresses me the most not only how well you have just kept at it but the fact that you found a company that actually promoted well within! (And Paid you what you are worth)

Hell 2 companies ago I had someone tell me "You want to only be a network engineer? Seems like a waste"
    YEAH BUDDY LOOK AT ME NOW! :D

Congrats again!
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Very impressive. Most impressive the company within promoted you and gave you higher pay. Usually have to job hop to get the pay.
  • Options
    billDFWbillDFW Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe I missed it, did you stay at the same company or did you jump around to gain experience ?

Thank You
  • Options
    billDFWbillDFW Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    - All of these jobs are at the same company, so it helps to know a lot of people for a few years. At the very least, they'll know that you're a good person (goes back to being likable).

Update: same company. Thanks
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing srj. I'm going to use your experience as a financial challenge for myself. 16 months in and almost there and really expect to make 100k in my next position which probably won't be with my current employer unless things change drastically. I'd like to put in a year which means another 8 months until I stary the search.

Did you find the RHCSA to be a valuable asset in your promotion? I'm taking a long time to study for it, kind of concerned about the test but I hear there's a lot of help available like --help and man pages and somewhere it was mentioned internet access but then you could google everything.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    srj,

This is a great post that shows what can be accomplished when you are determined and driven. Not only did you put the time in to build the technical skills, take on responsibility and stand out among your peers but you also understand the importance of the soft-skills or "being likeable" as you called it. It sounds like you understand the big picture and with your motivation the sky is the limit really. You're the type of person/mindset I strive to be and wish I could surround myself with people who are similar.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Very impressive. Most impressive the company within promoted you and gave you higher pay. Usually have to job hop to get the pay.

This is very true. There is no way I could make these salary leaps at my current company no matter how good I am. I would have to leave. Most companies don't allow for employees to make large salary leaps (most allow for around 20% increases at a time).

Like I mentioned, for his company to allow for him to do this they REALLY are looking out for him and treating him well. I wish the rest of the world would treat their best assets (their people) with this same level of appreciation.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Amazing stuff. I can't wait to work for one of these employers that recognize and grow their employees potential.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    You have every characteristic of someone who will succeed. Tackling any problem - no matter the magnitude - goes a long way. Showing initiative and acquiring more responsibilities was smart on your part! I would also like to stress how right you are about soft skills. Being likeable and socially prominent is an excellent trait to have.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    D1renegadeD1renegade Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I hope to be singing a similar tune in three years
  • Options
    manchildmanchild Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When preparation meets opportunity... well done sir!
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »

Is not only about how long you have been in the industry is also about how much value you can add to an organization, how hard you work and can demonstrate it with results, how you interact with people(networking, interview, let other know how good you are while been humble) and a little bit of luck.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a good story, congrats!

About the money thing some people mention, there's definitely places that just pay well and reward their own, and there is places that don't. I think I'm in the latter (for example, I doubt I get anything like additional pay or promotion after getting the CCNP/CCDP this year, or even next year but hopefully I will lol) but there's definitely places that do the kind of thing OP has gone through and it's completely plausible. I know stories first hand as well.
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Congratulations. Sounds a bit too good to be true though.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    srj wrote: »
    A couple years ago I set a goal of making $100k in 3 years. Yesterday I officially accomplished this and bypassed it. Here is the progression for anyone interested.

So when you gonna hit 250k? icon_smile.gif that's my goal right now.
  • Options
    storchstorch Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, every time I read these threads I'm envious on how much the US pays for IT professionals compared to Canada. There is no way your going to make that kind of money in Canada unless your really senior, work with a niche product or in a VP type role. I also see that everyone here with a CISSP is making 100k or more, again in Canada that's not the case unless you have 10 or more years of experience in IT security.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Damn, I'm making half that in DevOps and I was also making half what you were as a Linux Sysadmin!

Where are you located? DC/New York/California?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    Damn, I'm making half that in DevOps and I was also making half what you were as a Linux Sysadmin!

Where are you located? DC/New York/California?

He is located in Boston.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    storch wrote: »
    Honestly, every time I read these threads I'm envious on how much the US pays for IT professionals compared to Canada. There is no way your going to make that kind of money in Canada unless your really senior, work with a niche product or in a VP type role. I also see that everyone here with a CISSP is making 100k or more, again in Canada that's not the case unless you have 10 or more years of experience in IT security.

That can also have a vicious negative effect insofar that things end up costing more. Look at healthcare in America compared to elsewhere!.