Options

Vmware Fusion vmnet

eugenechiaeugenechia Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I am building a vsphere lab on my mac using nested esxi solution with vmware fusion. I am tad confused with vmnet on Fusion and how it correlates on vsphere vmnic.

In Fusion, vmnet starts with 2 and vsphere vmnic begins with 0 (zero).

How do i ensure the vmnic I wish to assign to vSwitch in vsphere is linked to the right vmnet in Fusion?

Hope my question makes sense. Thank you.

P/s: Using Fusion 8 Pro & Vsphere 6

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I've not done this, but I am curious about this setup.

Where are you getting vmnet and vmnic information from? I know that running ifconfig from a shell under OS X will give you vmnet1 etc. These are local virtual interfaces created by VMWare for communication between host and Fusion. I /think/ the numbering is sort of arbitrary.

Is the vmnic internal to Vsphere? If so, these always start at 0. The numbering is just a reference, really. As far as Vsphere is concerned vmnic will be tied to whichever "physical" adaptor Fusion says it has.

To check the relationship between the two, I'd just confirm the MAC address, since the "physical" NIC (any interface external to Vsphere) will still hold the same MAC. I'm 80% sure you can get this info just from the local console for VSphere.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    eugenechiaeugenechia Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Octal, I am at work now and shall find out more tonight and share the results.