Question about eJPT

MooseboostMooseboost Senior MemberMember Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've seen a lot of posts about people going for this and genuinely enjoying it. With the 20% discount, I find it hard to ignore this. I work in Security, but mostly with firewalls so I would definitely like to delve a little more into this side of it.

For those who have done the course, did you do the full or elite? For those who went with the elite - did you find the extra attempts / lab time worth it?

If you only did the full, did you have left over lab time?

I'm currently studying for the RHCSA, so I will probably get the course and work on it after. I would just hate to miss the 20% off on something I will probably be paying for anyways. This one will be out of pocket though, as I doubt work will pay for it. So, I just want to make sure I am not spending extra on the elite if it isn't that much of an additional benefit. I have access to the CEH study materials, but have no interest in actually doing that - only using the materials for study. I eventually want to tackle the OSCP and from what I understand this is a really good introduction that I can build a foundation with.
2020 Certification Goals: OSCE GXPN
Blog: https://hackfox.net

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I did the Elite and didn't have to use an extra retake on the exam but it was awesome that its offered. The elite lab time is really worth it. I think you'll pay less with elite, compared to going back and adding more time for labs just because of the extra time. I used up all but about three hours for the labs before I took the exam.

The exam is pretty easy if you've gone through the labs and materials enough times.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • MooseboostMooseboost Senior Member Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Decided to just go ahead and go for it. Got the elite package, just in case I needed the retake or extra lab time. Originally was going to hold off and finish the RHCSA, but think instead I will go ahead and finish the course first!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,147 Mod
    did the eLite as well. You will enjoy the course and learn a lot!
    Goal: MBA, Jan 2021
  • MooseboostMooseboost Senior Member Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have yet to run into anyone who didn't enjoy the course, so I certainly have high hopes!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAMember Posts: 5,735 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It was good and will probably give you a desire to take the eCPPT.
    Currently working on: Linux and Python
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Veritas - Are you taking the OSCP soon?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAMember Posts: 5,735 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was planning to, but work wants me to take the SANS GWAPT course. I'll probably attempt this fall or next year.
  • scottlinscottlin Banned Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've never seen these certs before, how are they looked at in the job market in the U.S.? I don't think I've ever seen them requested in a job description.
    scottlin wrote: »
    I've never seen these certs before, how are they looked at in the job market in the U.S.? I don't think I've ever seen them requested in a job description.

I don't think they've gained the respect they deserve yet. I'm in the states, not sure how they are viewed in Europe. I've not seen them on any job boards.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAMember Posts: 879 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just curious, what is the general consensus regarding acceptance of the ELS certifications in the job market? I'd love to do PTS when I'm done with EC-Council.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,147 Mod
    No one seems to know about them in Australia, but that doesn't really matter. These are practical lab-based certs, so you actually gain valuable hands-on demonstrable skills.
    Goal: MBA, Jan 2021
    @UnixGuy: That's the way I look at it. I can always explain them and I did them to learn, not just gain another certification.
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with you veritas and unix. I have certifications that I don't put on my resume anymore, but the knowledge I gained while studying for them were very helpful in building my IT career. Certs like A+,N+, CCNA, MCSA are no longer on my resume but they gave me a good understanding of systems and networking. I have the trifecta CISSP, CISA,CISM.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAMember Posts: 879 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've decided to do PTS next year. I'm really excited about it, and I'd rather be working on eJPT than CEH (which I need). I honestly doubt I will ever become a pentester but I love learning about this stuff. It's super fascinating to me.