Options

To take the job or not take the job?

FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
I went for an interview for a Desktop Support role. A week later I got the job. I received a call from the hiring manager stating that there's good news and I was chosen and to wait for an email for background check etc. I then checked my email and saw an email from the company saying they decided to move along with other candidates sent an hour before. I called back and was told that it was sent by mistake and to ignore it. I was so excited when I got the news and told the hiring manager that I thought someone else was taken cause of the long response time. But when I found out about this email I was taken aback and felt foolish and a bit mad. Would you guys take the job after this or not?

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Im confused. Do you have the job or not? Do you have an offer letter in hand? Dont do anything until you have an offer letter. But this stuff does happen sometimes.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If I understand correctly you are saying they made a mistake saying they passed on you, corrected it, and the offer stands. Correct? Sounds like just a mistake. In the absence of other red flags I wouldn't think much about it and keep moving forward. Well, that is assuming they said the background check cleared and you are 100% good to go with a concrete starting date and everything in writing.
  • Options
    Im confused. Do you have the job or not? Do you have an offer letter in hand? Dont do anything until you have an offer letter. But this stuff does happen sometimes.

I was only told in the phone that I have an offer and that they will perform background checks but they have to email me documents that I have to sign off on before they can do background checks and everything. No emails were sent stating congratulations you got the job.
  • Options
    Fayz wrote: »
    I was only told in the phone that I have an offer and that they will perform background checks but they have to email me documents that I have to sign off on before they can do background checks and everything. No emails were sent stating congratulations you got the job.

Oh ok. Well, continue through the process and dont give any notice until you have an offer in writing(after the background check)
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    If I understand correctly you are saying they made a mistake saying they passed on you, corrected it, and the offer stands. Correct? Sounds like just a mistake. In the absence of other red flags I wouldn't think much about it and keep moving forward. Well, that is assuming they said the background check cleared and you are 100% good to go with a concrete starting date and everything in writing.

They have yet to conduct background checks. They told me if I don't hear from them in a couple of days to contact them so they can send the documents by email so I can sign off.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe they had someone else who they called and that person turned down the position after they sent you the email. Could have been anything but it sounds like they want to move forward with you, so, congrats!
  • Options
    Contacted the HR Hiring Manager and he's off on vacation which may delay the process of me getting hired. At the same time I had a bad feeling about this from the get go. He's coming back supposedly the same time I was supposed to start. So basically everything is at a standstill. Won't be surprised if they have another candidate in mind.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Is there anyone else you can contact?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    franziskanerfranziskaner Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well sounds like you shouldn't quite your job! But if they are delaying on you then what's the problem? Would be worse if they are trying to pressure you into an early start date.
  • Options
    Is there anyone else you can contact?

From HR no, there is one of the interviewers I have contacted before but the thing is I am unsure if he knows that I got the job. I was told the Director made the decision and there's no proof that I got the job, no email or written document stating that. It was just word of mouth from the Hiring Manager that they are proceeding with me.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No letter yet? After a week?? I hope you haven't quit your other job yet.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    No letter yet? After a week?? I hope you haven't quit your other job yet.

Not employed at the moment.
  • Options
    Fayz wrote: »
    Not employed at the moment.

I would just continue to proceed with the job hunt. if they come back to you great. but always proceed as if you dont have the job until you have the written offer.
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    It seems like with almost every decent IT job I apply for, the hiring manager "goes on vacation" while I am waiting for an answer to if I get the job or not! I HATE THAT!!!!!