New VMware Toys :)

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
New VMware toys have been added today to our cluster at work. icon_bounce.gif

SRM, vROPS, NSX.

Looks like more books to read now. icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    SRM is an awesome product, but a beast to initially configure. I've used it for multiple disaster recovery exercises, for continuity of operations and its a solid product. Not sure if this is a still an issue, just keep an eye on the compatibility with newer versions of vCenter as it can become broken.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I find SRM to be 1 of the easiest VMware products to install and configure.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I really like NSX been diving more into that lately on many projects!! It's very scalable and easy to configure.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    dave330i wrote: »

Your environment probably makes it easy to setup. Just to give you an idea..we had to configure it on a network that supports almost 1 million users, with the fail over site being half way across the world.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Very nice, have fun! We use vrops in our production cluster. Still trying to get a feel for how we want the dashboards to be configured. SRM is a nice product too, haven't used it in production (we have san replication and ability to seamlessly failover).

Let me know how you like NSX!
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    NSX? $150K for base-model Honda is way too expensive.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »

Indeed .. COmpared to dynamic custom dashboards in vROPS where you need to drill down XML files ... yea .. a lot easier ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    It's not my money, a week before I came onboard they bought a 1.7 million EMC VNX and a EMC Avamar the month before. icon_bounce.gif

in the tail end of my EMCISA training from EMC-direct, then after the exam gotta take EMCBA. icon_wink.gif ... I'll be the lead engineer on the vBlock, Avamar and VNX as-well as daily operations of VMware.. icon_biggrin.gif

At some point I'll take this bloody VCP6-DCV. icon_wink.gif ... at my rate of experience though since I'm literally living in ESXTOP now and PowerCLi I can probably do VCIX pretty quickly, have two other VCAP's here (they are all working remotely, I'll be on-site guy) and I'm learning soooo much!!!!
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    It's not my money, a week before I came onboard they bought a 1.7 million EMC VNX and a EMC Avamar the month before. icon_bounce.gif

Wow! How many PB's of raw storage? That must be at least a dozen racks of equipment.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    DPG, it's EMC it's probably barely a PB of data. EMC in my experience is crazy over-rated and over priced. You can easily go to most competitors and get a SAN at half the price for the same level of performance.

It's the old 'shut up and take my money' idea IMO, you are EMC so you must be the best so i will pay whatever you say. There is a local hospital here in KC that paid over a million dollars for their EMC product and it doesn't perform half as well as our SAN that cost about a third of the price. Yes i realize there are other factors in there, but my overall experience is EMC is over-priced.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    New VMware toys have been added today to our cluster at work. icon_bounce.gif

SRM, vROPS, NSX.

Looks like more books to read now. icon_rolleyes.gif

What books will you be reading in regards to those subjects?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    DPG, it's EMC it's probably barely a PB of data. EMC in my experience is crazy over-rated and over priced. You can easily go to most competitors and get a SAN at half the price for the same level of performance.

It's the old 'shut up and take my money' idea IMO, you are EMC so you must be the best so i will pay whatever you say. There is a local hospital here in KC that paid over a million dollars for their EMC product and it doesn't perform half as well as our SAN that cost about a third of the price. Yes i realize there are other factors in there, but my overall experience is EMC is over-priced.

Sadly he is quite accurate, it's only a 485 TB array. icon_wink.gif previous array was 70 TB's icon_bounce.gif
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    What books will you be reading in regards to those subjects?

Just ordered them off Amazon, and most of them have videos on the typical IT training video websites. But work also has VMware education credits that were using.