Options

salary vs hourly

slee335slee335 Member Posts: 124
i have potential job offer but this position pays hourly and its 35 hours a week its a full time position with perks and OT 8 hour day 7 hour work doesn't pay for lunch. not sure how i should go about for negotiation. since its not 40 hour week pay. 9 hour day 8 hour work. if i asked for say 70k it would be usually equal to 35 a hour but for 40 hour week. if you make it 35 hour week it comes out to be like 40 a hour. if i ask for the same as my old salary 70. they might say no and come back like you overtime.

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why not ask for $38.50 a hour, this way you still get your 70k a year for working 35 hours a week. How they negotiate really depends on if your currently employed or not. If you currently working, they know you can say no and it's no loss to you, if your not working, they can lowball you and know that it will difficult for you to say no or negotiate for more.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Your 70k example only holds true if you only work 40 hours. In my experience salaried positions more often than not are working over 40 hours. So that amount is actually less per hour.

The 40 vs 35 is sort of irrelevant. How much money do you need a year to pay your bills and live the life you want? Obviously you need to be reasonable. But say it is $70k. If you won't work for less than that you walk in and tell them $38.50/hour is the minimum Ill take. There are also other things to consider such as health care and time off. If you are paying more for health care out of your own pocket than the salaried position you will want that accounted for as well.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    it's all bout how you negotiate.
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Negotiate for the hourly pay you think you'd deserve? Not really sure what you're asking?
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Still going in 5 days and getting out one hour earlier but then they offer OT -- OT after what 40? A friend of mine's wife works a 3-12 hour day/shift but she makes like 45-50 an hour.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    ask the amount that you think you are worth.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Why do people work for employers that have them work over 40 hours and still get paid the same? That is just stupid.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    KennygrowKennygrow Banned Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Why do people work for employers that have them work over 40 hours and still get paid the same? That is just stupid.

i agree

its not worth it.

you will be burned out

over worked under appericated.

trust me i been there and done that, while i grew very rapidly like my career was on steroids it was not worth it.