Some advise :)

flames1000flames1000 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I have been given a task of setting up a new server at a remote location. I need to make this a DC that has DNS,DHCP and configure the site to site connections. I have been going over my game plan for what to do and would like some advise.

The DC will be in the same domain as our other domain controllers. I am going to bring the DC on the domain here and then put it behind a sonicwall pro 200 (SW will go to the remote location) and try to figure out the site to site connection. My question is DNS. Are zones are all AD replicated here and think its best to do that for the remote location, but i need to find out how fast the wan link is.

I want to have users at the remote location to have records of what we have here but also if the wan link goes down, i can configure a forwarder to their isp dns servers. I need to look at replication across the wan ect. Iam excited for this project as iam going through 70-291 right now, but dns is still not a strong suit for me (But still learning)

Any advise will be appreciated and as always, this place is a great resource!

thanks!

Flames!

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    is there a precise question here?
    witty comment
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    1st: I would setup a secondary DNS server for the remote location for zone transfers. This would insure that local adminstrator could not alter the resource records. Make sure you specify the DNS server by name (Name Server Tab) and IP address (Zone Transfer Tab).

2nd: And then for the forwarding request at the remote site, use your primary dns server as the primary for name resolution and choose the ISP DNS for the second. Good Luck!
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

was it AD DNS or internet DNS you need to configure?
    do you work in intranet or do your branches have access directly to the internet?
    do you need a DNS "proxy/gateway"?

i think you need to be more clear... icon_cool.gif

cheers...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • flames1000flames1000 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Sorry for not being clear enough icon_sad.gif

The branch office will have direct access to the internet and i would like to use AD intregrated zone to replicate down to there. I have a idea of what iam going to do, but the extra 2 cents from the rest of you guys and gals always helps! :)

Flames!
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ok, hello again there...

1. does your site-to-site connection works OK behind the FW? AD networks not only require zone replication for DNS only - but other application also, such as group policy etc. etc...
    2. if you need a single DNS gateway then you should only create a secondary DNS server on each branches - it will produce a better security also.

cheers...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.