Options

CISM June 2016 54 Weeks

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Long time no post.

So I wasn't planning on taking on any new certs in the near future, but I recently found out I am going to be in a city where the CISM is being offered the week prior to the test. So I bit the bullet, and did a last minute registration.

I just got my study materials from ISACA in the past week. I'm using the CISM Review Manual from ISACA (wow is it D R Y). I also have a subscription to the database.

So far I'm averaging about 60-something % on the questions. When I did my CISSP many moons ago, I spent about 2.5 months studying for it. For the CISM (from today) I have 54 days of study time. Due to my location I will have to fly a couple of thousand miles to a test center if I don't get a pass in June (thus my motivation to pass on the first time). Due to the nature of my job, how much time I can study during the day can be unpredictable. Also, I can be pretty brain-dead when I get home at night.

For those who have taken the exam, is 54 days a realistic goal for a pass (averaging about an hour study a day x 7 days a week)? Any study tips or thoughts on how to best prepare?
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    I suppose it depends on how fast you absorb information, and how much of it sticks. I used the review manual and database of questions. I studied for maybe a couple of months, I used the question database for the final month of study.

I'm sure that it's not the best way to do it, but then again everyone is different and study methods vary depending on you.

Bottom line is, the facts and concepts are all in that book. If you know them, you'll pass - because, regardless of the question, the method you use to arrive at the correct conclusion will based on a firm grasp of the concepts laid out in the manual and in the questions DB. You know them, you pass!
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Guess it depends on how much of the CISSP knowledge you remembered and how fast you absorb and understand the "ISACA way". 2 months is doable if you study consistently, I pass my CISM in June with top 5% score after passing CISSP in end March. Suggest you read the Review Manual first then do the questions. Read explanation for each answer while doing the questions DB, I copied out and compiled the answer explanations into Evernote as study notes.

The explanations were confusing to me at first; I was lost and struggled for quite a while before understanding them. icon_redface.gif If you know about learning pit concept, you will understand the experience. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike7 does the review manual have chapter review questions at the end of each chapter? I'm talking about the CISM review manual book from ISACA. Only bought this one at this point.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About 10 questions for each chapter. Suggest you buy the QAE (Questions, Answers & Explanations) database online subscription instead of the QAE book.
  • Options
    If you are going to get the CISM 2016 manual it is cheaper on Amazon than the Isaca site.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tongy wrote: »
    If you are going to get the CISM 2016 manual it is cheaper on Amazon than the Isaca site.

Going by the price its cheaper at the Isaca website. Eventually you would have to pay for the membership anyway, so either you pay now or later it's money that you have to pay. Costed me 195 for the membership and the local chapter + 120 for the book and I'll have to pay another 440 for the exam registration. Isaca is probably one of the most expensive certification bodies out there.
  • Options
    Glad I could help.... icon_study.gif
  • Options
    RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also didn't plan on taking this, but here I am. Did my CISA with the manual and a database about 2-3 years ago and did fine. Expecting the same from this - I don't find the ISACA manuals as dry as some others do, but this one is worse than the CISA 2013 was - it seems like a lot of information is repeated.
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • Options
    Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is my proposed study plan.

1. make sure you read the manual once
    2. Answer end of the chapter question. Those you get wrong - see why you got them wrong
    3. Online DB. (As you read chapter) start doing its online questions. Start with set of 20 and move to doing set of 50 questions.
    On a week day you can do 20-30 questions and on a weekend do 100 questions.
    As you answer questions look for what is the risk from your manager's point
    4. Repeat all the questions you got wrong.
    5. Then Repeat all questions.
    6. Make sure you take 200 question exam 1 week before the exam

Total time commitment :
    1.5 hours study + 30 mins of questions (2 hours each week day).
    4 hour study + 1 hour of questions (5 hours each weekend day)