Options

CISCO or LINUX ???

couponcoupon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am new to IT, only have A+, Network+ and Security+ certificates, right now I work as an very entry level IT tech, most of the time just use Ghost imaging OS. So I only getting minimum wage just like working in the fast food...

I try to decide what career path is better for me, CISCO or LINUX ???
If I go Cisco path, I will study for CCNA/CCNP;
If I go Linux path, I will study for RHCSA/RHCE
I like both of them, since I don't have a lot of time, I can only pick one right now.

I think in IT, experience is very very important. Like my situation no degree, no security clearance, no experience but If I have the certificate, which path is better and easier to find a job? Since no experience, the pay can be lower, just try to get in the filed get some experience and start from there.

Thank you in advance.
[h=3][/h]

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't really speak to which one is 'easier', but both with definitely help finding a job. With no experience you'd be starting out from the ground up with either option. Both can lead to good careers; either on the network side, Linux admin side, or later down the road with experience the security side. There are probably more jobs available right away if you go the Cisco route, especially in an entry level NOC position. However, don't underestimate a career in Linux - DevOps is heavy Linux and will keep growing in demand IMO.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I'd say that the RHCSA/RHCE is easier, but I'm probably biased from my experience - I've spent more time in the backend of Linux/Unix than in networking.

The RHCSA/RHCE is also a practical exam where what matters is the result, so you have a little more freedom than in a Cisco exam where there is only one right answer. My experience is though that RHCE is much more asked for, but most Linux jobs don't actually asks for any certification only 'experience with' a long list of various technologies.

CCNA is more asked for than RHCE or RHCSA, but it often appears in more generalist roles as well which include other requirements.

But if your priority is to get ahead, then you need to look at the job market where you want to work. If there is zero demand for either of those skills, then that will probably answer your question. You need to look at the number of jobs that you could get once you have one of these, and how much they pay. It might be a bit tedious reading dozens or hundreds of job listings, but it is the best way to get a sense of what the market wants.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you like both, I'd probably start with the CCNA since more jobs will probably ask for that and it's slightly more recognizable, but I'd say just get both once you're done with the CCNA if you truly enjoy both. They are both different career paths unless you want to be in a jack of all trades type role.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a certification plan/track i will take CCNA then linux.

For working or general learning purposes i would learn both, i think learning both will enable you to become a very good engineer, learning how linux works is amazing and will let you understand how many other platforms work, many things are *nix based .
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought networking for me but once I started studying it I found it to be quite uninteresting for me. When I started using linux, it was for me and hence I've gone down that road. Find out what you like and then do it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If your goal is to break into IT, I would look at which certs are called for more in jobs where you live or want to live. As was mentioned earlier, it would be easier to break into IT by knocking out the CCNA and trying to obtain an entry level NOC position.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Weird, there's virtually no networking jobs here, and the ones that exist require a fair amount of experience. But if you can show 6 months experience in Linux, people will start throwing jobs left and right at you here.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    You could go the WGU route and get certifications (including CCNA and Linux +) while you earn your degree which would really open you up to more career opportunities. Both career paths are very lucrative, but the demand for skilled Linux professionals is much higher.
  • Options
    wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    If you're interested in both....then both :)
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not both at the same time? Set up a lab where it's Cisco networking gear, and Linux machines icon_study.gif

Whichever you feel comfortable with first, take that test.
  • Options
    couponcoupon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for all your help. I will study CCNA first then Linux. This path will work better for me.