Options

Bellevue University - MS in Management of Information Systems

staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am strongly considering Bellevue University for a Masters of Science in Management of Information Systems, but want to get some opinions of the university. The university is regionally accredited by the HLC and on the surface seems like a good school. I have two co-workers who have undergrad degrees from Bellevue. Each speak highly of it, but I wonder how much different a MS program could be? I would concentrate on Security Management, and the school has been "designated National Center of Academic Excellent in Information Assurance / Cybersecurity" by the NSA.

As part of my research, I've spoken at length with the CIO of my company. He has a doctorate and teaches at a different university. His opinion is that the school's name hardly matters, unless it is Ivy League. I trust his opinion, however I am personally struggling with the lack of a 'name' behind the degree.

Any thing to look out for? Opinions on Bellevue?

Comments

• Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I strongly considered Bellevue University before I selected Norwich University to complete my Masters of Information Security and Assurance. The major turn off for was the proctored exams. There was no way I could fit that into my schedule to go to the local community college to get a proctor while doing my exams. If this was not the case, I would be attending Bellevue. They may have changed that now, I am not sure. Please check before you make your decision. This may not be an issue for you.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    What other programs have you considered?

I don't have any particular axe to grind against Bellevue, but there are other programs out there that will provide either name recognition, prestige, or both. Take a look at the "Master list of B&M colleges offering online IT degrees" thread (it's been stickied at the top of this sub) for a whole host of other programs that might be better suited to your desires (both academic and personal).
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rumblr33 wrote: »
    I strongly considered Bellevue University before I selected Norwich University to complete my Masters of Information Security and Assurance. The major turn off for was the proctored exams. There was no way I could fit that into my schedule to go to the local community college to get a proctor while doing my exams. If this was not the case, I would be attending Bellevue. They may have changed that now, I am not sure. Please check before you make your decision. This may not be an issue for you.

I'm lucky in this regard, one of our HR people is able to proctor exams. Thank you for the information though, was not aware.
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    What other programs have you considered?

I don't have any particular axe to grind against Bellevue, but there are other programs out there that will provide either name recognition, prestige, or both. Take a look at the "Master list of B&M colleges offering online IT degrees" thread (it's been stickied at the top of this sub) for a whole host of other programs that might be better suited to your desires (both academic and personal).

Thank you, I have looked at that thread a few times. Was considering Colorado State or ASU as well. ASU is around $30k (plus you have to fly there) and Colorado State requires the GRE. Bellevue was appealing because they have so many concentrations, including the one I wanted. I'm in flyover country, so maybe the name isn't as important as I think?
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I wouldn't worry about the GRE too much. I spent years avoiding it, and in the end, took it anyway. I got in to the programs I applied to, and made a decision from there. My point being this: don't let something like the GRE get in the way of the program you really want to attend.

If you're in flyover country... There's a thread I had posted in a night or two ago where the OP had applied to Iowa State - I didn't know they had an InfoSec program, much less one that was online. You also might check out Purdue - they've got an online MS: CompSci with a concentration in InfoSec. I also seem to recall University of Illinois having an online MS program...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow