Options

Passed in 1st attempt on 19th April!

mayur.rickymayur.ricky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi folks! This is my first post in this forum. I passed my CISSP exam on 19th April in first attempt and wanted to share my experience.
I've 4.5 years of experience in network and application security. BTW can someone tell me if I can get a waiver, I'm having a 3 years of bachelors degree also pursuing MS in IT.

I started my journey from 1st Dec 2015 when I attended a local training arranged by my company which wasn't helpful to be honest.

Study materials:

Sybex, 7th edition: My primary book. Read end-to-end. To the point, no bull$hit.

Shon Harris, 6th edition: My reference book. Very good explanation. They say old is gold and they're right :D. Almost 90% of the book is relevant to the new exam. I did all the questions as well of this book which was much better than Sybex.

Shon Harris practice questions: Awesome collection of questions. Must do!!

Cccure quiz: OK types not as good as shon harris's questions but good explanations of every question. Must read all the
explanations.

Cybrary videos: Good refresher with tips.

Sybex test engine: I took only 2 quizzes out of 4, not very helpful. Easily scored 85% in under 2 hours.

Its not about how many books you read or how many questions you do. Its about how clear your concepts are. It about your attitude towards the examination, about the time management and how you deal with each question in the exam.

Its one of the toughest exam I've faced but if you'll go with the right attitude you can easily nail it.

All the best!! :)

Comments

• Options
    mkohimkohi Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi folks! This is my first post in this forum. I passed my CISSP exam on 19th April in first attempt and wanted to share my experience.
    I've 4.5 years of experience in network and application security. BTW can someone tell me if I can get a waiver, I'm having a 3 years of bachelors degree also pursuing MS in IT.

I started my journey from 1st Dec 2015 when I attended a local training arranged by my company which wasn't helpful to be honest.

Study materials:

Sybex, 7th edition: My primary book. Read end-to-end. To the point, no bull$hit.

Shon Harris, 6th edition: My reference book. Very good explanation. They say old is gold and they're right :D. Almost 90% of the book is relevant to the new exam. I did all the questions as well of this book which was much better than Sybex.

Shon Harris practice questions: Awesome collection of questions. Must do!!

Cccure quiz: OK types not as good as shon harris's questions but good explanations of every question. Must read all the
    explanations.

Cybrary videos: Good refresher with tips.

Sybex test engine: I took only 2 quizzes out of 4, not very helpful. Easily scored 85% in under 2 hours.

Its not about how many books you read or how many questions you do. Its about how clear your concepts are. It about your attitude towards the examination, about the time management and how you deal with each question in the exam.

Its one of the toughest exam I've faced but if you'll go with the right attitude you can easily nail it.

All the best!! :)

I'm currently using the Sybex 7th also, why do you say the quiz questions and 4 tests are not useful? Also, what sections should we focus on and what were challenging for you?

I'm using Sybex 7th and Cybrary right now.

Thanks
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass! No idea on the waiver though, you'd have to run that through ISC2. If you have certain certs like even the security+ you should get a 1 year waiver for that.
  • Options
    mayur.rickymayur.ricky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not saying sybex quizzes were bad, all I'm saying it was damn easy.
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and great review!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your hard work!