2»

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Congrats!!! Way to go!
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    congrats!

What kind of questions did they ask you for it to last over 2 hours?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's freaking awesome!! Congrats!!
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's fantastic man. Good job :)
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you everyone! They cut my hair last night for the drug screen and my two references both called me and said they had a "book" of questions to answer lol.

I still feel like its too good to be true because its such an upgrade, in every way a job can be an upgrade this is.
    congrats!

What kind of questions did they ask you for it to last over 2 hours?

They were less technical and more strategic / situational / HR type questions. You know the ones, "Tell me about a time that you failed at something and this drastically changed how you work in IT now" (I told them about the time I blew up a server) and "how do you view subordinate failure" (I told them its my fault). There were some that asked me to explain in detail the network designs I have supported, projects I managed, etc...

There were more technical questions in the first interview than this one, but that lasted about 45 minutes.
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Congrats! It must be a government job for them to cut your hair for a drug test.
  • Options
    100k wrote: »
    Congrats! It must be a government job for them to cut your hair for a drug test.

AFAIK it is not; but the background investigation has been more thorough than any other job before so who knows if there isn't some reason for it.

Trying to schedule all my PTO off with my current employer before I leave (its a use or lose it situation). I have 10 work days left and 6 days of PTO to use....lol
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be careful that you don't put yourself negative with PTO and they charge you back for it. Some places will do that (my employer does), check your employment agreement and any HR docs relating to PTO.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats on the new gig!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ultimately switching jobs comes down to one thing only, does the new employer have healthy or unhealthy expectations. You will find out soon enough which one they have.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations !
  • Options
    Mow wrote: »
    Be careful that you don't put yourself negative with PTO and they charge you back for it. Some places will do that (my employer does), check your employment agreement and any HR docs relating to PTO.

Not that I doubt you but.... Just curious, how would one go "negative" when their PTO days are less than avaiblle working days? This is not a concept I have heard of before.

Thanks everyone!

I go next Monday to sign on the dotted line and make this official.
  • Options
    For example, I get 15 PTO vacation days. If I take all 15 in January and leave the company in February, I can be docked pay to cover the prorated PTO I used, since I didn't technically work long enough to "earn" that PTO for the year.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    For example, I get 15 PTO vacation days. If I take all 15 in January and leave the company in February, I can be docked pay to cover the prorated PTO I used, since I didn't technically work long enough to "earn" that PTO for the year.

Lots of places I've been work like that unless you work at a company that is earn before you can burn.
    My current job is that way (what you described)
  • Options
    Yup, that's why I was letting OP know to be careful burning all his PTO before he leaves.
  • Options
    Yup, that's why I was letting OP know to be careful burning all his PTO before he leaves.

I get what you are saying now. Thanks for the heads up on this. The PTO I have left i accrued, my first year here I had none. Then 12 months in I was given 7 days which I never used (and need to use now!).
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job switch. Learn all you can and be the best you can be!
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Just got nailed for what I was warning you about, lol. It was my last day today and in my exit interview I found out I owed the company .76 days in PTO that will be deducted from my last pay. D'oh!
  • Options
    Just got nailed for what I was warning you about, lol. It was my last day today and in my exit interview I found out I owed the company .76 days in PTO that will be deducted from my last pay. D'oh!

Ahh man! That sucks. I had to "give up" 3 days PTO because of pro rata, but still used 4 before my last day :)

Today is my first day at the new job. Not nervous at all...just anxious to get started. Its been a long wait.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bank jobs or any jobs that deal in finance typically put you through the ringer. A bad credit score and you most likely won't get the job at a bank.
  • Options
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Ahh man! That sucks. I had to "give up" 3 days PTO because of pro rata, but still used 4 before my last day :)

Today is my first day at the new job. Not nervous at all...just anxious to get started. Its been a long wait.

One last update. So I too had that common question, "is this the right move for me?". After 5 days at work, I can say hell yeah it was! In my first week I have done more network 'work' than I have in the last 6 months.

Setup RANCID and Cacti? Yep
    (Succesfully) troubleshoot a HTTPs issue at a remote site? Yep
    Setup a 12u rack of lab equipment in my new office? Yep
    Learn how HP (and everyone else?) does trunking and access ports? lol yep

Drinking from the firehose and loving every second of it.
  • Options
    Awesome! Enjoy it!
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CHRIS:
    I currently work at an MSP.
    Chris, I remember you used to work at an MSP.
    How do you like the corporate environment vs the MSP environment?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor